• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 as temporary daily driver

armytruck63

I will be using my M1009 Blazer as a temporary daily driver on a 120 mile round trip commute to work on SoCal freeways because Oriental Car needs expensive repairs.

I have good belts and hoses, and I carry spares. The only nagging problem I have with the Blazer is a leaking rear seal on the transfer case, which has been fixed once, but still leaks.

Can anyone give me their experiences using a M1009 as a daily commuter? Is there anything I should be aware of? I figure on topping off the transfer case once a week. All of this will go on until I can afford to fix Oriental Car.

Thanks,
Matt

blackhueys

everyday driver for me bought in denver drove staright back to mn no issues still going strong. alot comes down to how your truck was treated before you had it as well.

ca1517

Should not be a problem. I drive mine that distance on a regular basis. The only thing that sucks is if a battery gets weak, and it won't start. It is hard to find someone with a slave plug in driving around.

jimm1009

I don't mind saying that I have marginal experience in the M1009.

I purchased my M1009 from us the taxpayers (uncle sam) in late 1995 when it was 11 model years old. It had 35,000 miles on it and it now has 240,000 miles on it and 99.5% of those miles are me driving it every day to work and back.
I've also towed it 1/3 of the way around the country.
I have had 33 12:50 x 15 tires on the OEM wheels for all but about the first 4,000 miles and I love it. Not the origianl 6.2 but is the original type of engine. Same tranny and transfercase but NOS rear axle form Builder77 about 2 years or so ago. Gov-lock wore out and made vibrations.
Don't even miss the A/C now and am trying to find ways to keep my truck around for at least 20 more years (no I'm not kidding). It is the perfect
balance between car and pickup truck, it's ugly so no one wants to borrow it including the wife, and I get 19 to 20 MPG on the highway.
I did put an electric tailgate in it from a GMC Jimmmy about one year after I started driving it.
Soldier #2 (or 3) stole the starter from it before I picked it up so it has been a 12 volt system since I've owned it.
jimm1009

aaron1009

I've put 4k miles on mine in the couple months I've had it. I have had no problems aside from a few old bulbs blowing out. Check your fluids, carry extra hoses and belts (as you mentioned) and keep an emergency tool set in the back and you should be fine. I also keep a jug of water just in case.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks