• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Axle Spline / Pinion Spline Counts?

MADSEN

Hey everyone.. New to the forum but not to the M1009... I'm currently at the AF Academy in CO, but originally a TX kid.

So, I've spent quite a while now searching for my answer with no luck.

Does anyone know for CERTAIN what the Spline count is for the Axle shafts, as well as the Spline count on the Pinion?

Thanks y'all

tgarcia

40 teeth on the ring gear, 13 teeth on the pinion gear
40/13 = 3.08:1

4.10's (41/10) and 3.73's (41/11) and 3.42 (41/12) 3.08's (40/13)

good luck!

hoplite666

m1009 front axle spline count

Day dreaming about lunchbox lockers for my front axle and this questions comes up. Mixed results using the search feature. Some posts say 30 some say 28. How many splines in an 84' 10 bolt front end?
I was told that the 30 splines were not used until 89.
what say you?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You found mixed results, so you though a new thread would solve that?

Merged to an existing thread.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wise, would be to pull an axle before spending money. You never know who or what has been done to your truck(do you?)

Wise, would not be to start a new thread, but to bump an existing thread(you added to your own problem(and everyone else's later) by starting a new one. The one you pointed out would even be a good one to question the 30 spline count, and post correct info for future reference(thereby helping yourself and others).

Wise would be to not be wise when we are trying to help you.

Simply put, when you can find conflicting info on the interwebs, asking again will never solve the issue or eliminate all doubt. Only your own diligence can do that.

Last edited:

Skinny

Thanks Dad.
That's funny!

I agree, pull the shaft first before you order. Confucious say 30 year old truck have many hands in it!

Either way, I would probably shy away from a locker, especially a lunch box locker for a 10 bolt. The carriers are weak and the locker adds stress to that. The shafts are fairly weak and you may snap a shaft if you run larger rubber or play hard. Of course you can upgrade the shafts to solve that problem but then you have the carrier issue. So you upgrade to a full carrier limited slip or locker. Next thing you know you have a $1500 front ten bolt that still has 3.08's for gears. Its just the way things work...

That or just go to the junkyard and stock up on shafts, then you have a few to play with. I mean that in a completly non-gross no pun intended way ;)

hoplite666

I'm running 33's, don't go the ohv park or attempt to play in the rocks. I'm easy on pedal and only occasionally bash around in some ruts. I just want to know that the traction is there if and when I ever need it. I run an Aussie locker in the front end of Ranger. Full circle clips and Spicer joints turning 35's. So far it's holding up. Yes, I know two very different trucks.

Last edited:

Skinny

You'll probably do fine then. Low spline neck down axle shafts in a housing that is known to bend under abuse going to a non-HD diff carrier with a drop in locker...usually spells disaster :)

Run it!

cucvrus

I am reviving this thread because I was just outside and had the locker out of the M1009 a customer dropped off here a few months back. You will find this hard to imagine but I never knew the spline count on an M1009 rear axle. I never really cared. If it was broken I fixed it or changed the entire axle. Now I have a new center carrier with a locker in it and installed it in the M1009 housing. I thought all was well. I paid to have it set up and properly shimmed only to find that the new center carrier was a 30 spline. I removed it from a GM box and it was marked CUCV M1009 center locker carrier. I looked and sure enough the stock center carrier and axles were 28 spline on the M1009 CUCV's I have many loose axles and they were all 28 spline. I harvested the rear center carrier out of my 1991 K5 Blazer and it had 3:42 gears. Bummer. But It did have 30 spline axles so now the M1009 has a brand new center carrier with 30 spline axles and center carrier. I also had the Eaton locker but didn't want to break up the set of gears. So all is well. I had the rear axle in the frame from my 1991 K5 blazer. That was a total rust bucket and was recycled a few years back. I made a flat storage cart from the rusty frame by screwing 2X4's across the frame flanges. All recycled, repurposed wood. DSCF7883.JPG I sawzalled the U bolts. DSCF7884.JPGDSCF7885.JPG I lifted the rear frame and scooped up the rear axle. DSCF7886.JPG That Kubota saved this old mans back a 1000 times +. A good old 10 bolt that was overhauled a few years before being parked. DSCF7887.JPG DSCF7888.JPG Some more original M1009 steel stock wheels for refurbishment. The oil was nice and clean as was the center carrier. DSCF7889.JPG DSCF7890.JPG DSCF7891.JPG Another housing heading to the recycler. I have lightened the load and will be scrapping many parts from my inventory. I think the 30 spline locker is a heavier looking unit then the stock 28 spline side by side there is a small difference in size. Take Care.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks