• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Electrical System Project/Upgrades: Battery Cables, Starter, Alternator

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I attended a local MV rally last month. My M1009 had no problem starting and getting me to the event, which was 40 miles from home. At lunch I wanted to move it under a tree for some shade. It didn’t want to start. :-( Quadjeeper used his Polaris to pull my truck close to Rayzer’s Taj for some TLC and battery charging. THANK YOU RAYZER AND QUADJEEPER!!! YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!!!! Russell Deese and Floridianson helped out. (I'm sure there were others, and I apologize for leaving out some names.) After some troubleshooting and some persuasion with my aluminum bat, we concluded that the starter Bendix was toast. I called AAA and waited for the ‘tow truck of shame’ to drag my dead truck and my sorry a$$ home. Ugh. I’m thankful for AAA, but I really don’t like using my 100 miles of insurance. I felt a bit defeated. That’s the price of playing with old OD Iron.

A bit of background: I bought my truck from Jim Henry in Albemarle NC. He converted it to straight 12 volt. He installed factory A/C out of a donor truck. It has an HR-6 compressor in place of the driver side alternator. It has 2 12 volt batteries in parallel.

Five years ago I installed a gear reduction starter from O’Reilly. I bought the lifetime warranty.
I have a couple of side notes about the gear reduction starter. They are so much lighter than the standard starters. The reduced weight and size makes them much easier to install. They spin the engine much faster, and there’s less stress and strain on the electrical system, glow plugs, batteries, and alternator.

Back to my starter. I took the dead one to O’Reilly on Friday 3/9 (a re-manufactured), dropped it on the counter, and quickly learned that I could get a new manufactured unit for an additional $3.19!!! :) I gladly handed the guy $4. Saturday 3/10 I picked up the replacement. I took my alternator in to get tested. It’s dead. I also brought the alternator I bought from Hilbillly Wizard. I spent $126 for that sucker. The bearings are shot and it needs to be rebuilt. I was under the impression that I got a known good alternator. Grrrr. aua I bought the thing about 4 years ago and never opened the box until 5 minute prior to leaving for O'Reilly. Oh well.

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I talked to cucvrus a couple days ago. That guy is a world of knowledge and is very helpful!! I asked his advice about battery cable size. He suggested that I buy 2/0 AWG wire. 3/0 is too hard to work with and 4/0 is expensive overkill.

I started a ‘might as well list’. I might as well go through the electrical system with a fine toothed comb. I hear “If it’s rubber replace it, if it’s electrical clean it” ricocheting around in my head!!!! ;-)

My To Do List:

rsh4364

Just went there to order 5 1/0 awg 3/8 90s. $6.81 for parts, $5.00 small order fee and $14.50 shipping. Too much ! Thanks for the input though. That was their standard shipping to the lower 48.

Bighorn

Be aware that some of those cheap gear reduction starters might be problematic.
Had a 100 buck ebay model that fit when i converted to 12 volt.
But the housing was machined differently than the original 24 volt starter.
Teeth would not engage properly and even bound up.
Swapped the electrical motor from the 12 volt starter onto my old 24 volt starter's reduction housing.
Works just like it did before.
Just keep it in mind.

suzukovich

It to bad your not closer to me in Riverview-Brandon area. There is a shop on 41 that can rebuild both 24v starters an alternators. Did that with my CUCV when it was rebuilt.

Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update:

I placed the following order on http://remybattery.com/ this afternoon:

• 2/0 Gauge 90 Degree Copper Tube Lug 3/8" hole. Ordered 6 at $2.14 each.
  • 2/0 Gauge 45 Degree Copper Tube Lug 3/8" hole. Ordered 6 at $2.14 each.
  • Military Terminal Protector Covers: 2 black and 2 red at $2.30 each.
Shipping FedEx Ground is $12.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks