• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 frame off restore and modification

bl71236

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going to document this restore here as there are many modifications being performed on this truck.
The frame and most everything else related to the frame has been sent for powder coating. Attached are a couple of pictures to show a before and after progression.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

bl71236

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Corrosion damage pre-sand blasting and post.

Attachments

bl71236

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got out of order a bit . I rebuilt the front axle. I was going to strip them down completely for powder coating, but decided to check the backlash first. Since the backlash was good I went with a reseal, ball joint,rodend job. New u-joints, installed a fill and drain port on the cover,lubelocker seal,primed and painted.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I got out of order a bit . I rebuilt the front axle. I was going to strip them down completely for powder coating, but decided to check the backlash first. Since the backlash was good I went with a reseal, ball joint,rodend job. New u-joints, installed a fill and drain port on the cover,lubelocker seal,primed and painted.
Looking really good!

bl71236

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One drain and one fill.
Now for my question, in the frame pics it looks like you powder coated the frame in sections, if so how did you bake it? Or does it just look that way in the pic's?
The complete frame was sand blasted and coated by itself. The transmission x-member was done by itself. All of the bolt on brackets were removed and done separately. Jeremy and his guys at Powder & Protective Coatings of Texas here in Dallas has done all my blasting and baking.

nyoffroad

The complete frame was sand blasted and coated by itself. The transmission x-member was done by itself. All of the bolt on brackets were removed and done separately. Jeremy and his guys at Powder & Protective Coatings of Texas here in Dallas has done all my blasting and baking.
OK, It kinda looked like half was done at a time and it made me wonder. I've played with PC small parts, can't even imagine the oven needed for a frame!
Looking good and keep posting!

bl71236

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a few repairs done on the tub this week. I finished up the right side B pillar repairs, and got the drip rail rod installed. The original drip rail is formed from the cab roof and the door frame skins spot welded together. When cut and grind down your left with the seam edges. I stitched welded these got the cab roof damage welded in. I was left with an area without the original seams so I laid a row of welds down to fill in the gap between the what was left of the drip rail.

I used .125" (1/8") rod to cover up the drip rail remains and give it slight drip rail. I was going to weld it in ,but when I was tacking it in place the metal thickness between the cab skin panels and the rod was to great and I blew some holes into the skin structure. So I broke out the torch and brazed the rod in place. I still need to sand the area a little more and fill the minor dents/warps , but I want to do all the lead work at once so I sealed up with filler primer to show all the body defects that remain.

Attachments

bl71236

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW! Why didn't you just get a set of drip rails from the bone yard? Pick up truck one's will work but the rear ones from a Suburban fit and look stock.
That would have been a waste of time. As mentioned previously the drip rails on these vehicles are formed from the cab roof panel and the door frame skin. They are spot welded and the sealed with seam sealer. The pickups did not have them. Check out a M1008 no drip rails. The civilian pick ups had chrome drip rails attached with sheet metal screws. Attached is a picture of the drip rail removed showing the corrosion and whats left of 30 year old seam sealer.

Attachments

bl71236

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been awhile since I had an update, funny how life gets in the way of our hobbies. I made a tool to make 1/2" plugs for filling in various holes in the firewall and the antenna mount holes. It's made from a bucking bar and a 1/2" transfer punch.

Attachments

bl71236

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also finished the drivers side rear roof corner repair and got the drip rail removed and the side of the roof repaired.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks