• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 front/rear carrier swap question

Miah

Hi guys.

Been working on my M1009 all weekend swapping out the front axle since it had multiple balljoint/wheel bearing issues & then figured out some of my noise/twitching issues were Gov-bomb related instead.

Crazy question time then.

Short on cash & time so can I use front carrier to make open diff to replace the Gov-lock rear carrier?

I think he means using the carrier from his old front axle. He said he swapped out the front axle.

As far as I know the front and rear carrier are the same and will work interchangeably as long as the spline count is the same (which shouldn't be a problem since its they are both stock axles). Have you done differential work before? It can be a time consuming/pain in the ass thing to do and get it right if you are inexperienced. If you swap diffs you should buy a differential install kit (comes with various shims to set the play and gear mesh).

I think the simpler way to go would be to find the whole axle and swap it out. You should be able to find one in a junk yard or on craigslist. Just about every 4x4 K10, K5 Blazer, and 1/2ton Suburban had either a 10 or 12 bolt rear...as long as the gearing is the same you're good to go.

Miah

Sorry I hadn't quite made it clear enough. Yes I wanted to verify that the carrier from my old take-out steering axle could be used in the rear. It took me most of last Sat night cruising various forums to verify that they are interchangeable. Because of time/financial/availability situation the CL/JY purchase just wasn't realistic for me. Got the blazer on the road tonight.