• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 front/rear carrier swap question

Miah

Hi guys.

Been working on my M1009 all weekend swapping out the front axle since it had multiple balljoint/wheel bearing issues & then figured out some of my noise/twitching issues were Gov-bomb related instead.

Crazy question time then.

Short on cash & time so can I use front carrier to make open diff to replace the Gov-lock rear carrier?

I think he means using the carrier from his old front axle. He said he swapped out the front axle.

As far as I know the front and rear carrier are the same and will work interchangeably as long as the spline count is the same (which shouldn't be a problem since its they are both stock axles). Have you done differential work before? It can be a time consuming/pain in the ass thing to do and get it right if you are inexperienced. If you swap diffs you should buy a differential install kit (comes with various shims to set the play and gear mesh).

I think the simpler way to go would be to find the whole axle and swap it out. You should be able to find one in a junk yard or on craigslist. Just about every 4x4 K10, K5 Blazer, and 1/2ton Suburban had either a 10 or 12 bolt rear...as long as the gearing is the same you're good to go.

Miah

Sorry I hadn't quite made it clear enough. Yes I wanted to verify that the carrier from my old take-out steering axle could be used in the rear. It took me most of last Sat night cruising various forums to verify that they are interchangeable. Because of time/financial/availability situation the CL/JY purchase just wasn't realistic for me. Got the blazer on the road tonight.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks