• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 rims - upping the size from stock?

Gloaf

Friends:

The 33/12:50 - 15's on my M1009 CUCV need replacing. Unfortunately so do 3 of my rims as well.

I'm thinking of getting a new set of rims while I'm at it and mounting larger diameter tires than 15". (The 33's are nice but bouncy on the highway).

Here's part of my concern: With the 33's mounted the steering linkage comes perilously close to the rim and tire. One bad bump in the road and.... there is risk of some heartburn. Anyway, sure would like a little breathing room there sizewise.

The bigger the better, but I don't know how big I can go on the rims before I have to do any modifications to the body (want to keep the body stock)

With these limiting factors I see that rims can be ordered up to 20" diameter. And I'd mount some sort of HD truck tires on whatever rims I get. Not sure the best way to roll (LOL) on rim and tire size but open to suggestions.

My application is mostly road/highway travel, with some offroad....

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

ssdvc

I am looking at new tires now. A friend "gifted me" a set of Toyota 16" black steel wheels and I was thinking of using them on my 1009. I also thought of upping the stock 15" wheels with 32" tires (33" look great, but the acceleration penalty isn't worth it). I have eventually decided to just stick with a stock size 31" tire, on my 15" wheels.

Limits to your larger tire size choices are going to be the 10 bolt 3:08 differentials and their axles, tire/fender clearance issues, and, last but not least, horsepower. However, it's your truck, do what you think is best for you. The sky is the limit.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your looking at 33's but don't want the 12.5 width you can consider alternative sizes...

16" rims - 255/85/16
17" rims - 255/80/17

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks