• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Vibration at Idle

tgtaylor64

This has me stumped! My M1009 is a very smooth riding CUCV, except at idle. At idle is shakes. I thought it may be bad motor mounts. The engine seems to vibrate more than it should at idle and more than my other M1009. Mounts seem ok visually. I noted that my transfer case mounts were very squshy so I changed them out thinking that it would make a huge difference. No real noticable difference was made! It seems to be a rough idle and I have added gallons of Seafoam but nothing has helped so far. At any speed above idle, it runs great; no vibration and plenty of smooth power. Any ideas?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is your idle too low?

SpecWarSquid

Mine was doing something like this for the past week or so. Lift the hood and the engine was making a horrible noise on top of the Diesel clatter. Turn outthe air filter housing was loose. The nuts had backed off enough to allow the housing to resonate at idle. Tightened them up and good to go. Noise went away. I like easy fixes as they tend to be rare. ;)

HTH

wayne pick

I agree with Sharecropper. A harmonic balancer can be had for less than $100.00. I would also stop driving it untill you find out exactly what is causing the vibration. If the balancer fails, the crankshaft will break, end of story. Your balancer is almost 30 yrs old, replace it. Sounds crazy, but check the power steering pump. The bracket is known to break in two places and transmit vibration and make a terrible noise. If the engine itself is jumping around like it's about to remove itself from the vehicle, it's more than likely the balancer.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suggest you check the harmonic balancer anyway. I am installing a new Fluidampr on my M1028 today.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got my new Fluidampr on, and the engine is a lot smoother indeed. I had slight vibration before, however I attributed it to my tires. Now I know that it was not my tires, but instead that 27-year-old harmonic balancer.

Hope this helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks