• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 won't start

Gabe92

I recently purchased a 1984 M1009, it started several times with no issue. Last time it took a half dozen attempts to start and now it won't start at all. The battery voltage is 24.53V so I don't think that's the problem. The starter sounds normal but it will never turn over. Has anyone had a similar issue? Thanks

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently purchased a 1984 M1009, it started several times with no issue. Last time it took a half dozen attempts to start and now it won't start at all. The battery voltage is 24.53V so I don't think that's the problem. The starter sounds normal but it will never turn over. Has anyone had a similar issue? Thanks
if the engine is rotating, as in turning over, then you have a fuel issue...have you tried to bleed the fuel filter yet or check if fuel comes out when the engine does rotate? Have you checked how much fuel is in the tank and not by the gauge? It may have run out and got air in the system. Also check the batteries when turning over to see if the volts drop to below 19 volts if I remember right...if you have a clamp on amp gauge that works better...bad batteries can wreak havok on these starting...if you got this as govt surplus with batteries charge them for a few days on a low amp, like 6 or 10 with the cables unhooked.

MarcusOReallyus

First we need to clarify what the problem is.

Is the starter motor spinning the engine (a.k.a., "cranking" or "turning over"), but the engine is not starting?

OR is the starter motor NOT spinning the engine?

Please state plainly which problem you have, before we go off in seventeen different directions.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Has the truck been altered in any way? Glowplug system or fuel system been changed.

Verify fuel supply, delivery of fuel to filter, fuel to injector pump.

Verify voltage to glowplug relay. Are glowplugs good.

Trouble shooting in TM's are very helpfull.

nyoffroad

Same as tire pressure effecting the coolant system lol
Hate to derail this thread but has everyone changed over the summer air to winter air? Do it soon or else!
As to the OP's question, from the post it seems the starter is turning and the engine is too, this time of year is when bad batteries and bad glow plugs start to show up. Assuming the truck has fuel and the battery voltage (both) is good then pretty much leaves the glow plugs and related parts. I'd start with a simple test of turning on the key and listening for a click at the GP relay, no click? Check out power source, nice loud click then check for power 'downstream' from there. Or you could always check in the 'stickys' for the TM's and follow the manuals.

MarcusOReallyus

As to the OP's question, from the post it seems the starter is turning and the engine is too,

The starter sounds normal but it will never turn over.

Here's the problem: it's not clear at all what is happening. This statement probably means that he thinks, "turn over" means "start" which is completely wrong. But it could mean that the starter clunks but doesn't turn over.

But until he comes back to clear up the problem, we are all shooting in the dark. Or worse, assuming.

For the OP: "turn over" means exactly that. It refers the rotary motion of the engine. The starter engages and the engine goes round and round, also known as "cranks", also known as "turns over". It does not mean that the engine runs.

Please clear this up.

LT67

Hate to derail this thread but has everyone changed over the summer air to winter air? Do it soon or else!
As to the OP's question, from the post it seems the starter is turning and the engine is too, this time of year is when bad batteries and bad glow plugs start to show up. Assuming the truck has fuel and the battery voltage (both) is good then pretty much leaves the glow plugs and related parts. I'd start with a simple test of turning on the key and listening for a click at the GP relay, no click? Check out power source, nice loud click then check for power 'downstream' from there. Or you could always check in the 'stickys' for the TM's and follow the manuals.
I did buy a container of diesel exhaust fluid for my M1008.. 😂

MarcusOReallyus

I don't know about anybody else, but I'm not about to download a zipped file posted by a stranger and then try to open it on my computer. We have no idea what's in there.

That's what YouTube is for.

nyoffroad

I didn't hear a click from the glow plug solenoid, that may be because I'm half or not.
Check the GP's and check for fuel, no matter what or how many mods have been done it still needs heat, air and fuel to to start.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks