• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 Meat Wagon to RV conversion

Skinny

The purpose of this build is to take the M1010 and outfit it into an all terrain RV that can haul my Samurai and sleds or serve as an expedition platform for any type of non-hardcore offroading. Part of this like any other old truck build involves starting at one end and working your way to the other taking breaks only to refill the wallet and do that pesky thing that gets in the way called work.

IMG_0989.jpgIMG_0996.jpgIMG_1100.jpg

Please see other thread where I deconstruct the ambo box if you want to see what is under the skin.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?146746-M1010-ambulance-box-build-reference

IMG_1060.jpgIMG_1097.jpgIMG_1106.jpgIMG_1110.jpgIMG_1136.jpg

Skinny

Most of my work up front will be converting the box over to a livable space along with the necessary mods to get the truck running under its own power. Right out of the gate I changed the starter relay, GP's, and GP solenoid. I am awaiting a new controller card but in the meantime the fuel system is functioning fine.

The charging system was DOA. Fire departments should not be able to touch their own vehicles...period. This is one more case in point of hackery. The bonus was finding a starter about to jump ship. I removed all of the starting and charging parts for a full refit. I'm going with a pair of new Leece Nevilee 160A 12v alternators wired in series just like the other CUCV trucks. It required a little bit of grinding on the cases to make them work with the adjusting bracket.

I removed the engine bay harness and stripped the DUVAC wiring out of it. I hate electrical loose ends. Plus a little bit of fresh electrical tape never hurt anyone. It appears someone's idea of a great repair included twisting my cold start advance wires and taping them together was good enough. The engine harness is back in and I'm hoping to have the starter back in with new bolts along with the alternator cables by the holiday weekend. New bolts in stock at the GM dealer $12 total...SCORE!

IMG_0991.jpgIMG_1168.jpgIMG_1169.jpgIMG_1170.jpgIMG_1171.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks