• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 rear axle swap

BikerBi11

This is for all of you that dont know this. A 3/4 ton axle out of a 3/4 ton GM pickup will not fit without serious modifications. My rear axle was out of a 78. spring spacing was wrong, shock mounts were 180 degrees out, and that is where i quit. Will be putting the original back in tomarrow

BikerBi11

my truck will be almost all highway use. My dumb a$$ didnt do any researck before i started.... now i am paying for it. just hopingto get some better gears.

Cucvnut

anything to get better gearsbelow 4 10 he he will have to but you know he also needs to make sure the front axle is the same gear ratio or stuff will bind and break when he uses 4 wheel drive.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
anything to get better gearsbelow 4 10 he he will have to but you know he also needs to make sure the front axle is the same gear ratio or stuff will bind and break when he uses 4 wheel drive.
Changing the front kinda goes without saying , if ya change housing and all or just gears ya got to do both ends.

Edit ; you could also add a bolt on overdrive and keep stock gearing , but there not cheap.

Last edited:

natem

Tall tires
I went to 33"s , it didn't help much. Any taller and you need a lift.

The rear axle is a 1 ton unit, the corp. 14 bolt. It is easy to change carrier. But the dana 60 in front requires a special tool for the change.

Over drive transmission or in line over drive best choice if 4 wd is wanted.

Change rear to 3.73 and pull front drive shaft. No 4 wd.

BikerBi11

Thank you all for the good info! I have been swapping 3/4 ton stuff into 1/2 tons for years. this is my first expedition into 1 ton and larger. Seeing how I have 2 M1010s, I think what i am going to do is find some 1 ton dually axles and change everything over to single wheel. I am going to do a shackle flip kit, steering box brace, and 38 inch tires with a 3 inch body lift kit also. I do not want to butcher the body, and have the ability to return it back to stock. what do you all think?

HoJoPo

I found that swapping in a 700r4 worked out better than re-gearing. 1st gear is now lower than it was with the TH400, making it accelerate a bit better, and the overdrive works great on the highway. Shifts smoother than the TH400 as well.

I haven't taken my M1010 off-road at all, but I imagine it's just as good as it was before.

mudman

God!!! YOu mean to tell me that "Rock Springs" is still operating??? I worked at Little America in the 70's and Rock Springs was a **** hole then..Sorry off subject!!

Matt1031

Thank you all for the good info! I have been swapping 3/4 ton stuff into 1/2 tons for years. this is my first expedition into 1 ton and larger. Seeing how I have 2 M1010s, I think what i am going to do is find some 1 ton dually axles and change everything over to single wheel. I am going to do a shackle flip kit, steering box brace, and 38 inch tires with a 3 inch body lift kit also. I do not want to butcher the body, and have the ability to return it back to stock. what do you all think?
IIRC, 1 tons have 40" perch spacing, 3/4 and 1/2 tons have 42".
If you want single rear wheel, why not just use the housing you have and swap gears? A dually width axle is going to be too wide. You're going to have to pull the carrier anyway assuming you want to put your existing Detroit Locker into your replacement axle. 14 bolts aren't terribly difficult to swap gears in and around here you can buy an entire junkyard rear for about $150. 3.73's are about right for stock size tires, but if you're going with 38" tires I'd leave the 4.56's in it. Either way you go it's not an ideal highway cruiser.

3.73 gears with 235/85-16 (~31-3/4" dia) tire = 72 mph @ 3000 rpm
4.56 gears with 38" dia tire = 74 mph @ 3000 rpm

The ideal (but expensive) fix is to swap gears AND swap the transmission or install an aftermarket overdrive. 4.10's with a gear vendors overdrive or 4L80e is almost perfect for all around use with the 6.2 and <33" tires. Only downfall is that you're looking at around $4k just in parts.

I'd avoid a body lift if at all possible. If you just need a little tire clearance, skip the body lift and trim the front fenders. Costs nothing and it is a more effective fix.

BikerBi11

HoJoPo, am considering the 700R4 swap. Waiting on my tranny guy to get back with me.

MudMan, RS is still here and doing well. Come visit, you wouldnt recognise the place.

Matt1031, I will do some research on your suggestions. I am going to look into this Gear Vendor unit. Is the dually rear too wide if you change the drums or is this an impossibility? I hves heared that they are Dana 70 units. Do you know what a single wheel one ton would normally have for gears? I civi model that is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks