• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101a2/a3 safety check tip

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have owned my M101A2 about 6 years now and have towed it all over creation. It has seen 25 states and beaucoup miles.

Hubs/bearings run cool , no vibration, rattles. No mechanical issues what so ever.

I took it this past Sunday to the Veterans Memorial parade in Baton Rouge about 70 miles one way behind my HMMWV.

Marty ~ Profo noticed a slight angle to the surge unit bolted to the A frame casting on the nose. Sure enough maybe 1/8 gap in the front to the back and when looking through, you could see a bolt and its threads. Upon further inspection looking into the casting from the rear towards the front of the trailer, I see one bolt loose but still threaded into the housing and found the other forward bolt laying in the casting. Bolt had good threads and no signs of stress.Marty lent me a socket set and threaded the bolt back on and tightened the other.

Today I went through and removed the two 1/2 bolts I had tightened. The original lock washers had lost tension. I replaced with grade 8 lock washers and coated the threads with blue 243. I also undid the 2 outer bolts on the casting. They were maybe 1/2 turn loose. They got fresh lock washers and 243.

The 4 horizontal 7/16 bolts also got attention that hold the frame extensions to the front casting. One was maybe a full turn loose. Other 3 were snug. Interesting that they did not have lock washers but just lock nuts. They all got lock washers and 243.

I looked at the long front bolt holding the chains and all the rear bolts on the extensions to the spring seats and found no other issues or loose hardware.

You might just want to check these 8 bolts on the front casting!

Attachments

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These trailers are notorious for that and it’s been covered before.
It never hurts to mention it again!

Had same issue with both of mine.
My first one had two critical bolts missing.

These trailers definitely did not get the PM they were supposed to while on active duty.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks