• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 Dump Questions

sggoat

After reading several posts here I realize the 101A2 was not totally intended to act as a dump trailer--but, the moments, leverage and force needed are surely there to approximate a dump.
Some folks have stated that the trailer will suffer spring damage if used as a dump-the 'cast' springs will fail-I don't see that, esp since springs are not cast.
I do see some potential stress on the spring hangers/shackles though(as others have warned)
My question is: has anyone "beefed" up the hangers/shackles to allow the trailer to act as a dump? What mods did you need to make to accomplish this?
I am using the trailer for dirt(garden), rock(driveway), wood(smoker), general hauling, lawnmower to the shop, etc.(The dirt is a back killer--I just unloaded 3 yds. of compost from this thing one shovelful at a time--no fun)
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated,
Gary

Nick

If your really serious about a dump, I personally would recommend putting a hydraulic lift on it, and leaving the frame to stay in place and just lift the bed. Like a normal dump truck. Ive seen it done, and it seems like it would be more reliable, and safer on all the parts, then to modify whats there. 2cents

mudman

You need to mount up and make more kids!!!! HA HA Just kidding Sggoat. When you dump with the trailer it puts all kinds of stress on the tounge and can break, or bend it. Also you have to watch out for the tail gate and lights in the back, you can either bend or break either one. I think they made the tounge to (Fold) so they could stand them on their ends and fold the tounges down for hauling in aircraft or other hauling applications just to save room. My 2 cents. Sorry bout the kid thing....I tried it...Not worth it!!!!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where they break is the pivot point where the tongue attaches to the bed. I do think you could beef up the pivot to make it stronger and hold but you may bend the tongue.

They will dump but it's not that steep. Material will slide out easier with it dumped but you'll still have to shovel most of it out. I could see if you wanted to haul a 4-wheeler or something the dump could come in handy. A 4-wheeler wouldn't be so heavy as to break the pivot and you could load/unload it without ramps.

quickfarms

You need to replace the tailgate pins with hitch pins so you can remove the tailgate before you dump.

The lights need to be moved forward and up to protect them.

I dumped my trailer regularly for 10 years before the tabs on the spring hangers broke. All I did was loosen the bolts that held the tongue to the spring hangers a little so they would not bind. I had intended on putting in tractor ball ends to solve the problem. Now we are adding some plate to the bottom of the frame and using heim joints to pivot the tongue. What did the trailer in was dumping several loads of stumps. This trailer is built light and will never be a heavy duty dump but they are good for brush.

sggoat

Wow! Thank you folks for all the input. Nick has the suggestion that is good, but way beyond my mean so it'll stay as is. Looks like I will not be using this for any heavy dumping like Mudman says.
I was only planning on a couple of yards of compost/dirt, or maybe 1 yd of driveway rock like M16TY says. Never saw the transport/storage config that Porkysplace posted. That explains the pivot at the front spring hanger. I do have some threaded spiral jack things that may work as a sub for the hydraulics-may work for the hauling of a lawn tractor,etc. Anyone know where I could get a couple of lenghts of metal field runway to use as ramps?