• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 Tire Pressure with BFG AT KO2

shotty

Recently got a new set of BFG All Terrain KO2 285/75-16 tires and wanted to find the ideal tire pressure for when the truck is empty. I used chalk, marked across the tread, and then drove it for a few revolutions of the tires. Inspect the chalk, and get it to wear off evenly across the tread. Final numbers:

Front 35 PSI
Rear 20 PSI

Seems really low to me too, but its the pressures to use to get even tire wear on my M1028 with these exact tires.

Here's the front at 35psi
20181231_143229.jpg

and the rear at 20:

20181231_142405.jpg

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just don’t take corners too fast.
Heavy pickup might roll tire off rim at 20psi with high lateral force.
That low of pressure will definitely affect handling.

I have had those tires before. Great tires
Never ran them at such low pressures and never had uneven wear.
Just kept them rotated as recommended.

sneekyeye

I run mid 20s on my e rated tires on the rear when empty also. It was the only way I could get the tire to have a contact patch all the way across the tread. My fronts run about 40. As little as I drive the truck, I doubt I'll wear the tires out from actual use.

ssdvc

I run 40 psi front and rear with my 09, and also with my everyday sedans. I have never had any abnormal tire wear issues and get max life out of my tires. Regular tire rotation (I do every oil change for my 2 sedans, once a year for my 09) really helps keep things even.

Low tire pressure creates a lot of heat at street speeds and could quickly lead to tire failure and blowouts. I think there is a minimum cold pressure and wouldn't run anything less than that. Just my opinion.

90Jimmy

De
Recently got a new set of BFG All Terrain KO2 285/75-16 tires and wanted to find the ideal tire pressure for when the truck is empty. I used chalk, marked across the tread, and then drove it for a few revolutions of the tires. Inspect the chalk, and get it to wear off evenly across the tread. Final numbers:

Front 35 PSI
Rear 20 PSI

Seems really low to me too, but its the pressures to use to get even tire wear on my M1028 with these exact tires.

Here's the front at 35psi
View attachment 752288

and the rear at 20:

View attachment 752289
You need to be running at the very least the minimum cold pressure indicated on the side wall. This is a must to dissapte heat, secondly, that tread surfce will not stay that flat at higher speeds. The low pressure will allow it to deform and wear irregularly. The edges will wear out before the middle. 20 is way low for on road highway speeds. Just my 2 cents. Spent about 5 years getttig the life sucked out of me selling tires....glad to be done with that but got a bunch of useless tire imformation now..
Those KO2’s are great tires. Got a set on the 4 runner, almost 50k miles, keeping the air right and rotating. Good even wear.

Good luck sir

ehuppert

Surprised no one brought up the fact that the tires are too big for stock rims (if that's what you're using). I'm also running 10 ply 285 75 16's. (Duratracs)

Manufacturer calls for rim width of 7.5" - 9". (Factory rim was 6" wide although 6.5's readily available as a stock GM rim) With the narrower rim you're going to have somewhat of a crown with proper inflation. I usually only put on 2k a year, so don't worry too much, tires will dry rot before they wear out!

Normally go 40ish in front, 30 in rear unless I'm loading up, then go to 50.

Kudos for actually making the effort to check tread contact!

Eric

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 255/85R16 KOs and they will dry rot before I wear them out. I run them at 65 but they are on a heavy ambulance. Also running 7" wide Fard rims.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks