• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1028a2 trans-plant

ODdave

So what would you guys think if somone where to put a nv4500 in a 1028a2 dually? I know there wasnt as many of these trucks made so I was kind of curious about what the thoughts would be on a swap like this. If I didnt have to cut the trans tunnel I wouldnt care but being its prety much a non reversable swap (without patching holes) what is the concensis on it???

P.S., Ron I allready know your thoughts so you dont have to share. :razz:

dstang97

I say do it. Or 4l80e and be stealth. I can understand the need for an overdrive.

I also vote 6bt nv4500 np205

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea it's a rare truck. I vote for keeping it the wat it is. Not that i'm a pureist, just would like to see it stay the way it came.

ryan77

I say do it! Those truck are not that rare. You can find them still. Its not a 67 Corvette i say do it.

ODdave

You need to cut a window for the shifter and work out the cross member. Here is more help:

1986 Chevy 1 Ton 5 Speed Manual Transmission Swap - 4Wheel & Off-Road Magazine
as well as the slave cyl port.

Yea, I have done it before (sig line.....) I have EVERYTHING from the first 4500 I put in my 1028 that was behind the 6.5, even the templates for the cuts. I was just curious if it will help or hurt the value. I could go 4l80e but I was thinking it would be nice to have that real low first of the 5-speed if I actually wanted to use the truck.

WARWAG

Your truck. You do what you want to it. As long as you dont lower it and put hydraulics on it that is....... Other than that I say go for it. In todays age with 75MPH and 85MPH highway speeds VS the old Nation wide 55MPH we need an OD. That will be my next "upgrade".

cliffyp

FREAK'N SWEET!!! If you got the stuff, do it. It's a definite improvement that makes the truck more functional, supper low end if you really need it and good top end if you want to get where you're going in a more timely fashion. I would definitely pay more for a CUCV with a 4500 already set up.

JUNKYARDJOHN

Go for it. These are trucks.... not classic cars. Theres no way I could make a truck payment at this point in my life. A modern civi. replacement would be one heck of alot more than I paid for my 30 acres of hardwoods. Then again... all my dogs & trucks die of old age. Anything to make them more drivable.:beer: john

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OWNING ONE MYSELF, they are actually rather rare.

From the research I've done on them, it appears the military only 'modified' about 300 of the M1028's into the A2 dually configuration. Another 400 or so as the A3 config.

It's your truck. But I've yet to run into another one in the three years I've owned mine.

And every time I drive it SOMEONE always asks what it is. This is even more true if the person is ex-military, because they all say they never saw one before.

You can take an M1028, modify it with a dually rear end, but you will find that the truck you have IS rather rare. It would be a shame to make ONE LESS of them as they were 'modified' to be what it now is.

Oh, and I have found MINE to be the best driving, riding CUCV I've owned. And I've had an M1031, an two M1009's.

The reason I DO like mine is it was the replacement for my deuce. It can do a lot that the deuce did (like pull my MKT-75A), but I can work on it myself without needing soldier B so much.

ONCE it's no longer original, it's just another modified truck. They are only original once.

How many M1028's did they make? Very, very few were ever modified to this configuration.

Your ride. You do what you gotta do. It does appear you've done one M1028 in this config already. There is supposed to be a guy down near Ft Hood that has the conversion axles and all the stuff to MAKE an A2. You would have to get one of those to make your current M1028 into an A2.

And your is a VERY NICE EXAMPLE for sure.

biggestc69

Clean looking truck!! Of course the choice is yours, if you want a show piece leave it alone. If you want to be able to use it practically then the mod would be the way to go. I only wish I had a problem like this to consider........

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks