• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1030M1…now what?!

razakain

Just became the proud owner of a Kawasaki M1030M1. It’s been years since I’ve ridden and, of course, I’ve never owned a diesel, especially one with unobtanium engine parts but I’m looking forward to playing with it. I was fortunate to pick up two original helmets and goggle sets at the same time. Looking forward to getting this one running good and learning more about it.

Attachments

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site. You will enjoy your diesel bike. I've had one for several years now. So far it has been mostly dependable. Does yours run good? I was lucky in that mine ran perfect when received. What about a title? I was also lucky in that mine came with a clear title. Do you have a copy of the Operators Manual? If not, I can send you a copy. Most of the bike is standard KLR650, except for the engine. Engine parts are non-existent, so I try to minimize miles driven. I've listed problems / issues below from my experience.

1. I had a fuel line rupture while riding. Fuel went everywhere. To replace, I had to remove the tank.
2. When I first got mine, I completely drained and washed out the tank and replaced fuel with new diesel since I didn't know how long the previous fuel had been in the tank.
3. The diesel engine was not designed to run on ultra low sulfur diesel, which means the lubricity in the currently available fuel is too low. I religiously add Optilube XPD fuel lubricant to my fuel to increase lubricity.
4. My battery was dead when I received the bike, but I was able to resurrect the battery after about two days of trying. I got almost two years out of the resurrected battery after the recovery, then it died completely. A new Odyssey PC625 battery was installed.
5. HDT recommended shaving off the fins on the outside edge of the battery to provide clearance. I didn't do that. I purchased a new longer nylon bushing to replace the original one and now I don't have to shave the fins off of the battery and you cannot tell the difference in appearance.
6. I drained and refilled the transmission when first received.
7. I drained and refilled the crankcase and replaced the filter when first received. Fred Hayes was adamant that AMSOIL 3000 5W-30 Heavy Duty Diesel oil be used in the M1030M1. It is somewhat hard to find except on the internet, but Fred Hayes said that modern oil would damage the engine.
8. Last Saturday I was about 30 miles from home and had the front tire go flat due to a bad inner tube. The front tire was also somewhat dry rotted, so I ordered a new tire and tube and I'm replacing it tomorrow.
9. Never ever use the compression release to aid in starting. The compression release should only be used when purging air from the fuel system. Fred Hayes was emphatic about not using the compression release when starting because it will cause serious damage.
10. My biggest complaint is that it stands so high, my feet barely touch the ground.

Last edited:

razakain

Thanks for the detailed response, glcaines. Nice to see another one of these bikes in Georgia as well. The bike runs well so far but I did not run it long since I had not drained and checked all the fluids. It also has a good title and I should have no problems when I am ready to get a tag, per my local tag office. When I acquired it, the battery was missing so I put in a good Odyssey battery. I am however, missing the battery holder plate and I have to pick one of those up. I am not sure if a standard KLR650 plate is what I need but I am going to try that first. Can you post a picture of yours with a closeup on the battery area?
The rear tire had dry rotted and was useless. I have new matching tires already in and tubes on the way, front and rear. Dunlop D606s. Thanks for the advice on the oil. Maybe we can find a modern alternative since that is a legacy product and may be in short supply. What transmission fluid and coolant are you using? I am draining those and replacing them next.
The Compression Release Lever cable is loose and the fitting is not securing the cable. It is in the correct position now and holding fine, and the engine cranks fine, but I do want to secure that cable to the master assembly better in the future.
Otherwise, I am just waiting on tires, tubes and fluid changes to give it a good run. Thanks for the help.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Attached is a photo of the battery bracket installed. As you can see, the cooling fins on the battery are intact because I used a longer nylon bushing to give them clearance. I have no idea why HDT didn't do the same thing.
Battery Bracket.jpg

razakain

Thank you! Just ordered a bracket today and have some of the Optilube on the way as well. I have to fix the blinker stalks and replace them or either find a better solution. I like keeping it close to original but I also don't mind making small improvements as well.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you! Just ordered a bracket today and have some of the Optilube on the way as well. I have to fix the blinker stalks and replace them or either find a better solution. I like keeping it close to original but I also don't mind making small improvements as well.
I dumped mine one time off-roading and broke a mirror stalk. The mirror was identical with the civilian model, as are the turn signals. There are some OEM turn signals on Ebay right now. I would try to keep it 100% original.

razakain

Thinking about selling my M1030M1. It has brand new, correct tires, a brand new heavier duty battery, new petcock, hoses, etc. I also have some accessories (helmets and goggles) that I would be willing to keep with it. It has just under 60 miles on it and is still technically in the recommended break in period per the sticker on the tachometer. Any recommendations on prospective buyers or forums to offer it on? I cannot post it in classifieds on here yet for some reason. Thanks.

Shawn

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Well, you do need a certain numbers of posts to send a PM, but if you need to send one, write Patracy and he will take care of the problem. And like I wrote, upgrade the membership to be able to sell things.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks, I wasn't sure what it was. I didn't know if I needed a certain number of posts or something. Thanks.
Yearly membership is currently on sale (Normally $15) for ten bucks.
Pretty darn cheap...

Picture it up, Post it up and see who takes it home with them. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks