• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 electrical panel install for engine heaters and aux accessories

Skinny

So after installing an engine block and oil pan heater, I started to accumulate plugs hanging from the front of my bumper. I also wanted to get a battery charger on board. All of these plus I would like to manually switch certain ones on and off, I needed some type of central control panel. Plus I wanted to add a shore power plug because I do not want to bend down on the ground to plug in with some dangling plug from the bumper.

I installed a panel in the back of the SECM box along with some additional outlets incase I need to plug something else in. Everything is tied to the Marinco 120v 15 amp shore power plug outlet on the side of the wheel well. Power can either come from my outdoor timer at my house or my Honda 2000 watt inverter generator in case I am off site and need preheating.

Long term plans include adding battery warmer pads under the hood and a few additional outlets in the SECM box. This is eventually transitioning to an expo rig so when I am out dirtbiking, I would like to add a microwave in one of the compartments. I also have a small MIG and plasma cutter so those will get a dedicated outlet somewhere else.

All of the wiring parts can be sourced from a big box store. The panel and breakers are Square D QC's. All of my wiring is done using power extension cord. The shore power plug is 12/3 and the rest are 14/3. Be sure NOT to tie the neutral and ground bus bars together in this panel. When you are plugged into your house, the house main panel has a bonded neutral/ground (no one can actually tell me which once is correct terminology so in dumb terms da white and da green/naked wirez). If you tie them together in your sub panel, you create two bonds and potentially a shocking issue if something shorts. Also give yourself plenty of service loop on all wires in a convienient location incase anything needs servicing.

IMG_1389.jpgIMG_1390.jpgIMG_1391.jpgIMG_1392.jpg

Last edited:

xenocath

searching.............
i have installed quite a few of those plugs into bassboats for on board battery chargers i recommend finding a better plug cover, those rubber straps always seem to rip off and there goes the cover.

Skinny

Good to know, thanks for the heads up.

Your profile photo shows some type of grille cover on your brush guard. Any info on that? I should really fabricate something for mine...didn't know if that is a surplus item or custom.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks