• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 finally gets AC

Skinny

So my left over M1010 accessory brackets got put to work on my generator truck. I did a 12v conversion at the same time bit could have stayed 24v just by adding a second alternator. I absolutely disliked the aftermarket bracket solutions for the normal CUCV alternators. This is why I went with the M1010 setup. Could have been more streamlined with an in dash evaporator but I didn't want to do that either.

Got the Leece Neville triple 5 JHO doing 160 amps worth of work. The factory A6 compressor would have been fine but it weighs about 400 pounds and they notoriously leak from the crank seal. So I found a modern Sanden in the same shape as the A6 so it drops in. You could do like a 508 with adapter brackets but for not much more money I just bought a whole new compressor that fits.

Up next an eBay AC kit with a vertical backhoe cab evaporator. Had to use my ambulance buckets so it fits on the back of the cab. Overall very happy with the fit and it blows ice cubes right at my face.

It has a large universal cross flow condensor that I mounted using rubber standoffs and some aluminum strips which also hold the fans.

I probably have $1500 in everything including the hose crimper. Aside from excessive noise, smells, and rpms at cruise speed...the old CUCV is now a pleasure to drive in boiling summer heat. Plus in the winter my unit has an auxiliary heater as well.

Next project is to get a Webasto air heater in the Dante's Peak Suburban for winter camping.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

chevymike

Sweet setup.

Exactly which compressor did you buy (model or part #) as I am going to be doing A/C in my M1010 and already pulled the A6 boat anchor.

Skinny

I bought it off Amazon. Mine is a Four Seasons. Mixed reviews online, some had premature failure. The genuine Delco one is like $700 so I rolled the dice at $300. Of course compressor seizure could be bad pressure switch or lack of oil so I'm not going to worry about it.

The factory A6 is a great compressor and cools way better then most at idle speed but I didn't want to sink time and money into a near 40 year old unit.

Four Seasons 58096 New AC Compressor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B77B0I?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks