• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 passenger side saddle tank/offroad fuel storage

Skinny

Since I live in New England and April brought extreme hot and cold weeks when my kerosene tank was very low, I ran out twice because I simply didn't add enough or order 100 gallons again. So I wanted a way to bring fuel home with me to top the house off. I also wanted to add capacity to my truck as 20 gallons does not go very far in a fullsize rig. So I decided to kill two birds with one stone. I bought a CUCV tank skid and bracket set from Hillbilly Wizard and another fuel tank from RockAuto. The front bracket required welding nuts on to the other four holes...not sure why. I think the tank delivered to my door was $100. Seems to be built pretty good with aluminized coating and wiped with oil from the factory. My goal was to have the passenger side saddle tank independent of the trucks fuel system so I can carry offroad diesel, kero, heating oil, etc. without being in danger of having non-taxed fuel on board. I managed to find a Fill-Rite 15 gpm fuel pump and nozzle setup on Craigslist for $100. I got it home and it was seized up but a rebuild kit is $35 from what I have seen and this is still way below a new list price of $375. Since I have the SECM box, the filler neck shares the same spot as a big chunk of aluminum angle. I bought a universal lockable filler neck from Coyote Gear. My next post will be the tank painted and installed along with mounting/plumbing my Fill-Rite pump. IMG_1695.jpgIMG_1699.jpgIMG_1694.jpgIMG_1696.jpgIMG_1692.jpgIMG_1697.jpgIMG_1698.jpgIMG_1700.jpgIMG_1701.jpg

Skinny

IMG_1883.jpgIMG_1884.jpgIMG_1896.jpgIMG_1898.jpgIMG_1897.jpgIMG_1899.jpgIMG_1900.jpg

It has been a few months since I have touched this dual fuel tank project. I ended up selling my house, moving out of the school (previous job), packing up into storage, and starting a completely new line of work. Fuel tanks not really part of the picture. I did have some spare time over the last few weeks so I buttoned up the mounting. The tank received the last bit of welding. I installed a 3/4" NPT siphon tube as I did not want any penetrations into the bottom of the tank. I also installed a driver side sending unit so the fittings point towards the outside of the truck. This will allow for any emergency hookups without dropping the tank. I was able to source a stock CUCV skid plate, you just need to swap the mounting brackets.

You only get about 2 1/4" clearance so the 3/4" NPT and 90 degree elbow were a snug and well calculated choice. Measure eight times...cut once! I will say that I really like the additional tank just from an aesthetic standpoint, it looks even. After I order a rebuild kit for my pump, I will mount it up high in the center locker.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome! A permanent 20 gallon gas can! Simple and functional. Gives me inspiration, as I was thinking in terms of adding 2nd tank and plumbing it into the fuel system, a much more complicated and potentially problematic endeavor.

Skinny

I chose this method opposed to plumbing it into my existing system because someone on here told me the 6 way valve needed to do the job is expensive and a leaky piece of junk.

I also like the idea that I can put off road diesel, kero, etc. into it without getting into trouble. I also can add some waste oil and mix it up by taking it down a bumpy road. If I need to to fuel up with questionable diesel, I can always dump it in that tank to avoid contaminating my on road tank. I will be adding a filter to my pump. That way I can sacrifice my cheap pump filter without clogging up my really nice Stanadyne primary and secondary filters.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is how I did my M1008, sort of! Instead of adding the transfer pump, I plumbed in a smaller 12V pump. I can connect it to the road tank and transfer fuel on the run or push fuel out (at a slow rate) into other containers or machines. Sadly it's only 90% finished and one day I hope to complete it. Skinny, your is very nicely laid out. Where do you plan to mount the transfer pump?

Skinny

I have a Fill Rite 15 gpm pump that has a hose and nozzle.

http://www.fillrite.com/ProductCatalog/2273.pdf

Plan is to mount it up high in the middle locker on the passenger side. I will fab a mount for the 2" NPT base. I will extend the feed tube down the locker and mount that through the base of the locker. Then there will be a short flex hose going from the tank tothe pump.

I still have to rebuild the pump. I was hit with an unexpected alternator rebuild and now my braided brake line is leaking so I have some higher priorities along with actually driving it before snow falls. Then it gets put away before rust sets in.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gotcha! I found 2 middle type tool boxes that when stacked, fit in that box like they were made for it. I don't think the military tool box was as good as a fit. That locker would be great, especially with the pump up high. That would give you enough room for 2 lengths of hose which I find very useful at times.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks