• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 Tire Choice

19trax95

First time poster, but been lurking for a little while gathering info and building knowledge. I am very likely buying an 86 M1031 this weekend and I'll need to put some tires on it.

I would like to go as tall as I can without issues with rubbing, as I won't want to cut the fenders to make clearance. I see that a 265/75r16 seems to be a safe option that'll fit. But I'd like to get at least a 33" tall tire on there.

Will a 285/75r16 fit on there, on the stock wheels without running into clearance issues? I also found a thread on here where it seemed like a member was running a 255/85r16 without issue. I prefer the wider tire, but the 255 would be the height I'm after, just narrower obviously.

Thanks in advance for any of your experiences. Truck is still stock height, and will likely remain that way.

Skinny

I think my 35's would fit stock height but it's going to clip the corner of the fender slightly. More so if you have offset rims.

Anything 10" wide 35 and under will most likely clear.

It's not so much the tire size, it's the square fender corner that sticks out like a sore thumb. Trying to fit anything larger then stock it's going to just kiss it.

A solution to avoid trimming is to refill the front spring perch and u bolt plates to push the axle forward say a half to one inch.

One, you may not like the look. Two, you may not have enough adjustment in the draglink to enter the steering wheel without making a custom length link. Three, it's going to make the crap steering worse by shortening that distance.

But your tires will clear 😎

19trax95

Cool, thank you for the input. Might just do the 255/75r16 to get the height and be on the safe side still. Then to just start gathering parts to bring it back to its original glory inside and out.

LT67

First time poster, but been lurking for a little while gathering info and building knowledge. I am very likely buying an 86 M1031 this weekend and I'll need to put some tires on it.

I would like to go as tall as I can without issues with rubbing, as I won't want to cut the fenders to make clearance. I see that a 265/75r16 seems to be a safe option that'll fit. But I'd like to get at least a 33" tall tire on there.

Will a 285/75r16 fit on there, on the stock wheels without running into clearance issues? I also found a thread on here where it seemed like a member was running a 255/85r16 without issue. I prefer the wider tire, but the 255 would be the height I'm after, just narrower obviously.

Thanks in advance for any of your experiences. Truck is still stock height, and will likely remain that way.
Toyo MT 255 85 16.... they ain't cheap, but the sidewalls will support the weight of a M1031. I run those tires on a 79 K20 on the factory 16x6.5 wheels with zero fender rubbing.

Keith_J

Completely happy with Cooper Discover S/T Maxx in 255 85 16 on 8 inch wide wheels, 4 inch backspace. Very stable ride in the 1031 even with my 30 foot travel trailer.

Speaking of that, going to drag it to Phoenix at the end of the year..job promotion came through today. Figure I will need a 55 gallon drum to do those 970 miles or so. And a week of vacation

19trax95

I only run toyos so they'll be the toyo MT in either size. 255/85r16 will in all likelihood be my choice.

Got my trailer all hooked up and ready to go. Heading out tomorrow morning to hopefully bring it back home with me.

Do you still have the th400 in there? Or did you upgrade to a overdrive trans? How's it do on the highway with the 255/85r16s?

Last edited:

Keith_J

With stock TH 400, I didn't notice. I calibrated the speedometer to the zero hash mark by twisting the needle hub while holding the drum. Upon GPS testing, it was spot on at a mile a minute actual with the speedometer held at 60 MPH. Good enough for the girls I go out with.

LT67

I only run toyos so they'll be the toyo MT in either size. 255/85r16 will in all likelihood be my choice.

Got my trailer all hooked up and ready to go. Heading out tomorrow morning to hopefully bring it back home with me.

Do you still have the th400 in there? Or did you upgrade to a overdrive trans? How's it do on the highway with the 255/85r16s?
I have a set of BFG KM2 255 85 16 on my 86 M1008 with the factory drivetrain. I just keep it 55-57mph....

I do avoid the interstates with it so I don't get ran over lol

LT67

Forgot ask; is this your first CUCV?

IF so, may I suggest swapping out the harmonic balancer ASAP on the 6.2 diesel. Old balancers will destroy these engines. The existing unit may look okay, but that rubber is 35yrs old and hard n dry which greatly reduces its ability to dampen the engine. These old balancers have been known to come apart. A new balancer is cheap insurance for a 6.2 diesel

Last edited:

ehuppert

285 75 16 will work. Normally it doesn't rub, but large load of wood and some off road maneuvering will sometimes barely touch lower fender. Am replacing my 3 leaf front springs with 4 leaf, between new and additional leaf should clear now!

85 series tires are available now, but may eventually go the same path as other oddball sizes!

I always recommend Goodyear duratracs!

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter

19trax95

Forgot ask; is this your first CUCV?

IF so, may I suggest swapping out the harmonic balancer ASAP on the 6.2 diesel. Old balancers will destroy these engines. The existing unit may look okay, but that rubber is 35yrs old and hard n dry which greatly reduces its ability to dampen the engine. These old balancers have been known to come apart. A new balancer is cheap insurance for a 6.2 diesel
This is my first CUCV. But I do have a little experience with the 6.2/6.5 motors. I'm a diesel tech for cummins and international and we still get some in from time to time haha. But the previous owner installed a fluidamper on it.

I made the trip home with the truck today. Will be ordering up some tires on Monday from my local tire shop.

Attachments

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just installed a set of inexpensive 285/75/R16 on mine - $140 each. I haven't had a chance to drive in the dirt but it does fill the wheel wells.

Reactions: 98G

sneekyeye

On my original steel wheels, my 285 tire front left tire sidewall hits the tie rod attached to the pitman arm at full right turn. Its not enough to damage the tire, but it has scuffed the finish off of the rod end and torn the boot. They were on there when i bought it, but I would rather have had the 255 tires just so they would not rub on the tie rod end.
And as much as I drive it, it will probably be ten more years before I need tires

Reactions: 98G

ehuppert

Yes, wider tires may/will hit the drag link.... Requires slight adjustment of turn limit bolts. Best to do it BEFORE boot gets ripped!

Eric

19trax95

I ordered my tires yesterday through my local tire shop. I hope to see them this week. Went with the Toyo Open Country MT in 255/85r16. I will post pics when I get them on there.

Been driving the truck the last couple days and it's been doing great.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks