• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M103A3 1 1/2 Ton Trailer width

Uloadit

hi there again . I want to bid on a trailer but dont know if i can pick it up and get it inside my trailer. I have a inclose trailer that has a opening with of 901/2 wide I need to know the exact width on this because on the site it says 89 wide and i got 901/2 wide close but if it is wider than that i cant pick it up. hate to get there and cant get it in

SteveKuhn

I saw around 82" in the references S&C posted and Olive-Drab, and another in the TM 9-2330-213-14&P (10/90) that suggested 88"+, though that could be for the M105 or either/both the way the table is laid out.

I might be chicken but a 90.5" enclosure seems like a squeaker when you're fitting in a trailer that's 10'+ long and weighs over 3/4 ton up a ramp - regardless of which measurement is correct. You'd need to hit it dead center and straight all the way in. And then it's gotta really be secured and . . .

I'd see if I could get a decent tow vehicle with a tall pintle, some temporary lights and pull it if the wheels turn OK. Anything that could pull (and stop) it inside an enclosed hauler should have no trouble without the hauler.

Steve
Who (carefully) pulls an M105 w/ an E350 sometimes

Last edited:

Uloadit

the trailer is 24 L x 8 W x 8 H . and it can cary 7 ton here is some photos of it . it is 901/2 at the opening then it widens out to 96 in side. if some one that has one tell me the exact with of that trailer then i know .does anyone need something brought back up to mass i live in swansea next to providence ri ,i am going to delaware l and Baltimore, MD

Attachments

Last edited:

buck

Not saying it can't be done, but I wouldn't try loading a 103 in an enclosed trailer. Most GL sites I've been to have a forklift capable of setting a 103 on an open trailer, but I wouldn't trust many of their operators to push a 103 into an enclosed trailer with only a few inches of clearance on each side. Any way you try to do it I think you're asking for problems. IMO, Use an open trailer or tow it.

I've pulled M103's behind my pickup before with no problems. You'll need to rig some lights and bring a high lift jack to swing the landing gear and set the luenette down on a reciever pintle hitch.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck with you're recovery.

Uloadit

i have a 6 ton winch i will pull it in with.so is it no more than 89" from side to side of the out side of the flat bed ? and can i pull the pins out and take off the top rails?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've pulled dozens of trailers off the GL lots without issue. Trailers are the easiest to fetch. I usually get it, hook up and get out and go a block up the road to do my PCMS, rig lights and store accessories. With that said, if you will have some steering help and a winch, you could probably get it in your trailer pretty easily. I used to have a pintle attached to the rear rack on my ATV for moving unloaded M105s around the yard. I've even used it to pull a water buffalo up on a trailer.

buck

I've also pulled many trailers off GL lots (Minot, Ripley, Sparta, Dodge, Letterkenney, Meade, Warner Robins, OKC, Rieley) never had a problem. That's not to say that problems can't come up. If you're prepared for them, the're usually not a big deal. Make sure the tires are aired up properly. If you can get one, have a spare tire with you (if the tires are good and the trip is short not so important) and check your hubs for heat regularly, just in case, and you should be ok.

That said, if you have a couple helpers (don't count on GL) with you, you can probably winch that 103 in the trailer. But if it has a pair of gennys on it your top clearance might be tight. And when it's inside the trailer you won't be able to watch it to see if it's shifted at all. Even when tied down well they can move or side shift on you. Could be a pain in the butt getting it backed out.

However you decide to do it, good luck.

Uloadit

For those with winches, do most pull the trailers up the ramps backwards? That makes the most sense to me.

Well I can now answer your question on the best way to pull these trailers in a trailer. What I did is wench it in from the back and drop the landing gear and let the nose drop down to the floor. Then winch another trailer in the same way and the back end of the second trailer over lap the tongue of the first trailer .These trailers are 75 inches wide from out side of the tires not 88 1/2 inches , what it says on the demission tag .So it fit in between my wheel wells. Well I got the two of them in my 24 foot trailer .I have a F-350 DRW and back them in till the trailer wheels where up inside the trailer that all I could go because of the DRW. If I had my wife’s GMC I could of back them all the way in, but that truck was not going to pull that much weight. When I got home I used her truck to pull them out, worked out great!! If any one up in New England wants me to hall a pair of them let me know

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks