• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 build.

BlueOvalF22

I've ordered the parts to convert to electric over hydro.

With the dovetailed bed and SVC bumper with the really high reciever hitch. I think flipping the pintle plate will level it.

I'm also thinking 19.5 NPR wheels and tires with a diameter closer to the raptors 35's would be good too.

I'll be at less $ than a U-haul one-way rental after buying it and doing the brake conversion and U-haul can't get me one anyway to leave comiefornia.

pintle.jpg

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
it's a heavy beast of a trailer, so just take your time getting to know how it handles.
Also verify your trailer brake controller is compatible with electric over hydraulic, as not all brake controllers are.

BlueOvalF22

DEXTER Electric / Hydraulic Drum Brake Actuator #K71-650-00

These are compatible with the ford integrated controler in my truck.

I have seen this thread.

I'm loading it light but have some bulky items so it's going to work. Once the CA to TX move is done it will be used on a ranch or caliche roads at below highway speeds.

My truck has the deaver +3 springs with the blocks removed so +1 lift. The deavers spring rate is far better than stock, I've got hydraulic bumpstops that can be reconfigured as overload springs and I also have traction bars. Basically towing it with the same rear suspension they put on Ken blocks raptor.

Its wider than a F250 SRW but shorter wheel base, has the same 6,2 engine and trans as the gas F250's, actually a touch more power..

I literally bought the trailer a few miles from home but did some back paved 55mph two lane. I could tell it needs the brakes hooked up but it was very stable otherwise.

I'm just going to load it sane and drive mellow until I get to the new place.

Last edited:

tobyS

You may have ruled out surge brake. I like them.

Unless you plan on a heavy load, the overload spring could be removed and so could a couple leafs of the main spring.....maybe add shocks. I hike a little travel than being so stiff that it hardly flexes. The 11 leafs are just too many. Would be easy to lower 2 -2 1/2" just in the spring pack.

The bolster & 1061 rim can take a hummer tire or smaller to match the truck. Otherwise look to Isuzu for some 6 lug rims. I'm aware of budd but not singles in Isuzu. There were also campers made here with the 6 lug....but again...I've only seen a budd.

BlueOvalF22

I saw a M35 go by a couple weeks ago, I wish I knew who it was... The trailer tires are in great shape. This one was from an auction at EAFB.

If I wasn't moving so soon, deaver spring has made custom for just about everything. I'd go with a softer pack, air bags in place of overload and a pair of 8" travel smooth body shocks from fox or king bought used. I can rebuild and revalve those. Or just fox or king air shocks without bags if I find a set used. Also adjustable valving,

The electric over is a clean and simple install that can be completed a lot faster than surge.

I also have already packed up my ESAB MIG, DC/AC TIG multi process welder for the move.

The M1061/M796 bolster wheels look to be the way to go. Wider than the NPR wheels to run wider tires to sink in sand less.

tobyS

Got it....moving

The springs are hardly used on most 105s and worth rebuilding, just with some thickness removed. The onerload is about 6 layers and the main spring is 11, easily reduced to 9, with no mount changes, only shorter bolts needed. I used them (10) on my 4x A3 with bag overload.

tobyS

when I went 4x4 with the deuce, I thought about using its rear axle under the 105 and running a driveshaft.

BlueOvalF22

That's a whole can of worms.. It's either 6x6 or 4x4... 2x2 cant just connect and disconnect. like nuts are there or not.

Craziest M105 idea I have is 3 linking the existing axle with articulation and travel in mind then find some stainless food service walk in refer panels and make an adventure RV that will match the cybertruck I ordered.

Right now I'm at $1k in with the trailer and wired for 7 pin including wire for break away bat charge and electronic brake wire. Still under $2k with the new master and break away kit. Getting to keep a M105 instead of renting a U-ball at 2-3 x the cost is kinda cool.

BlueOvalF22

Hmm... I've got stock front radius arms off a 2012 super duty and newer ford OEM raptor fox 3.0" coil over shocks off a 2018. Three link would articulate more but trailing radius arm coil over is $0 in parts for me.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A single axle trailer suspension does not need to articulate, you will just end up with a very unstable trailer.

Last edited:

tobyS

There is somebody that wants the pintle ring from a 105 in the parts wanted classified if you want to sell the ring.

tobyS

I'm interested in what people have done with the leaf packs. Remove every other of the short leafs that aren't in the brackets?
Sorry, I was wrong about the overload, it's on the top of the leaf with eyes, so it's removal won't change height. The shorts could reduce about 3 less and yes keep brackets.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love old-school M105's.

One (50's build date) is set up with 9.00-20 duals and extnended side boards to haul 2 yards of road base gravel.

I just got a set of dump rams so will set it up with those so emptying will be a lot easier.

Another (60's Anthony CO.) usually gets to store things under the cover when not going on a trip somewheres.

They pull nicely with either the M37, M54, or old Ford 1-ton.

I keep lunettes on all my trailers, sure keeps the "can I borrow that" requests down...

Dennis

BlueOvalF22

I love old-school M105's.

One (50's build date) is set up with 9.00-20 duals and extnended side boards to haul 2 yards of road base gravel.

I just got a set of dump rams so will set it up with those so emptying will be a lot easier.

Another (60's Anthony CO.) usually gets to store things under the cover when not going on a trip somewheres.

They pull nicely with either the M37, M54, or old Ford 1-ton.

I keep lunettes on all my trailers, sure keeps the "can I borrow that" requests down...

Dennis
Max couplers are goofy enough to keep the request down too.

The specifics... I'm not sure on this one... Just a B.O.S. from the guy who got it at auction. It has the dual parking brake levers. Since it's from a desert base it is very much rust free.

Nothing is stock on my old school V8 raptor. It's got the same engine and trans as the gas F250/350 and a sterling rear axle but it's mostly wheel base that limit it to 6k towing.

The deaver rear springs that deleted the blocks, the traction bars and n2/hydro bump stops sure makes it tow a ton more solid than stock. I still don't need all the capacity of the trailer. I'll pull out leafs until it's sprung just right for 3k max onboard and run the bolster wheels.

tobyS

The m105 spring is the same as the deuce front. How many guys would like to trade out the tired, sagging old deuce front spring for a barely used 105? just sayin

BlueOvalF22

If I don't like short leafs removed I'll pull it all and put it back together and sell it all... I've got a set of superduty deaver rear leaf springs E89 here too. I like the axle with the bolster wheels... Modern progressive springs and some shocks would be good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks