• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 owners, need a favor

number9

Guys I am about 100 miles away from my M105's. Can one of you do me a favor and take a couple measurements of the grab handles on the tongue are - the ones where you hook the chains when not in use - as seen in the pic?

I need to know how wide they are out from the tongue and how long they are.

I am going to make a set for my M101 and would rather not just guess at it.

Thanks!

Attachments

Bighurt

Forward mount is 12" aft of the frame member end.

Handle is 15" long and sticks out 3" (both are outside to outside), and made of 3/4" bar stock.

Your mileage may differ.

Bighurt

It's roughly centered on the frame member, not exact little high but I figure your mounting will be one off anyways. my tie-down rings are all different sizes as well. Seams they just welded them, with very little precision. Found that out when I tried to tie mine down, could only get the hook through 3 on on one trailer and 2 on another...

When I re-build mine I'm going to put D-ring on instead...

The one thing I love about SS is taking what the military built and modifying it to be in most cases better than the original.

Still trying to convince the wife an MKT will make a great Mobile BBQ Pit...LOL

number9

You measured a M105A2 I am guessing by your sig? I am thinking from memory and looking at my pics that the handles are a little smaller on the M105A3. 15" sounds a little long for the M101, so I may scale them down a bit but want them to be in the right proportion to look like they came on the trailer in comparison to the M105.

number9

Oh, I wasn't looking for either model specifically, just making an observation or thinking out loud. I really do appreciate the info.

Holding a tape measure on the M101 tongue, I'm thinking 2-1/2 x 8-1/2 will look good.

Thanks again for the help.

Bighurt

Yeah, to be honest other than to hold the chain, they aren't really all that useful...keep in mind I don't use mine all that much.

On a M101 the lighter trailer is easy to heft, but I can't pickup a M105 by me self...