• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105A2 crank up landing leg question

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
(I reviewed the manual and was unable to determine the information I need.)

I have an M105A2 that was overhauled about 15 years ago by VSE. The landing leg on the trailer works, but it does not work correctly. As you are cranking it, you need to pull the handle back towards the trailer body to get it to properly engage the gear inside of the landing leg. If not, it engages, but it slips out of the bottom gear when under a load (as would happen anytime you want to crank up or down the trailer...even empty). I've had it apart a couple of times pondering how to fix the issue. It appears as though the gear attached to the shaft that the handle attaches to should have been mounted about 1/4" closer to the center of the landing leg. Does anyone know how this particular gear...the one that attaches to the shaft that the handle is attached to...is attached? There appears to be a roll pin, if I can see it correctly. I think the pin may need to be removed (punched through), the gear re-set, and then another hole drilled. This will be tricky. Does anyone have any input that might help? I thought of getting some type of collar (they make bolt-together spacers) to force the top gear to properly engage the lower gear.

Guyfang

Staff member
Yes, I seem to remember it being a roll pin. I would take it all apart, and see why its not working right. In the norm, and I only worked 4-5 times on said landing leg, but in the norm, The gear fits where its supposed to fit, and there is no re-drilling and mounting. I never saw a gear worn at all. The roll pin sheared off, happens often. If you look at the Repair Parts section of the TM, it tells you that the jack is SMR coded XA*****. That means its a pluck and chuck item. That's why there is no explosion picture and parts listing for the jack. Be careful, when removing the leg. Its heavy, and this type of landing leg has caused more injury, then I can think about. When I had guys removing or replacing the leg, I made sure the team had at least two if not three guys involved.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I seem to remember it being a roll pin. I would take it all apart, and see why its not working right. In the norm, and I only worked 4-5 times on said landing leg, but in the norm, The gear fits where its supposed to fit, and there is no re-drilling and mounting. I never saw a gear worn at all. The roll pin sheared off, happens often. If you look at the Repair Parts section of the TM, it tells you that the jack is SMR coded XA*****. That means its a pluck and chuck item. That's why there is no explosion picture and parts listing for the jack. Be careful, when removing the leg. Its heavy, and this type of landing leg has caused more injury, then I can think about. When I had guys removing or replacing the leg, I made sure the team had at least two if not three guys involved.
Thanks! The trailer is hooked up to a truck, so it is not going anywhere.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GUYFANG, as you know, there are four bolts that hold the leg onto the bracket that lowers it. I remove the top two, and loosen the lower two so that the leg can pivot within the mounting bracket. I loosen the lower two first...and then remove the top two. I am VERY careful when I remove the second top bolt. I hold the handle so that I can lower the leg carefully without smashing my calf or other appendages! :)

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BKubu, If you're working alone maybe a strategicly placed piece of small rope would help prevent the landing gear from dropping with no guidance.
I also thought of a jack stand. But, as things would have it, my larger 7 ton military jack stands are not here. I appreciate your suggestion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks