• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105A2 locking up brakes

sandcobra164

I've had a M105A2 for a few years now. When I got it, the brake hoses and surge tank were not on the trailer. Since I only pull it with the Deuce, I figured I didn't need them. I recently decided to fix the brakes. I simply ran a line from the actuator / master cylinder to the trucks service gladhand. I got the idea from looking at an M105A1 and did it just like I had seen. I took it for a test drive and now under moderate to almost heavy braking, the trailer tires are locking up. Did these trailers have an air pressure regulator? I didn't see one on the A1 variant I looked at but was wondering if the A2 is supposed to have one.

sandcobra164

I should have added that they release normally when you ease off the brakes, they just lock up way before the trucks brakes are working that hard. I also have roughly 400 pounds of parts in the bed of the M105.

sandcobra164

I did as the tm advises. Raise wheel so that it can roll and tighten until it stops. Back off adjusting bolt enough to allow it to roll freely, go to other side and repeat. When I first hooked the airline to it, it had no brakes, and the master was dry. I topped off and bled the brake system, still had no brakes so I adjusted them. I did think it was odd that they were quite a bit out of adjustment. By out of adjustment, I could back off about 3/4 of a turn to be backed all the way off and it took probably 3-4 turns per side before the shoes made contact. If there is a trick to the adjustment, I'm all ears. I'm thinking a pressure regulator plumbed in between the air actuator may be the solution on this one but I'm open to suggestions.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you think the drums may be rusty and it's just grabbing? If you can look at/or get a picture of the same model trailer and see if anything is different, it would help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks