• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105A2 Spare Tire Simply Mounted

joshs1ofakindxj

I was looking at different ways to mount a full size 9.00 x 20 NDT spare tire on an M105A2.

I saw the one field mod where it was mounted over the tongue and said forget that!

Then I saw several trailers where the tire was mounted under a corner of the trailer used an M35A2 bracket but it kind of stuck out a little and definitely hurt the trailer's approach angle. I was looking at mounting it this way when I realized I could fit the tire and M35A2 mount under the middle of the trailers on one of the main center cross-members.

Some drill bits and nuts and bolts and curse words later it was done! It actually was pretty quick and easy.

My trailer only has a service air line. I'm not sure, but I don't think this would work on a trailer with the extra air line for the emergency air because there is some other equipment mounted in this location.

Attachments

joshs1ofakindxj

I like that! Did you use the M35 mounting bracket? If so, how hard is it to get to the "winch" to raise and lower the tire?

Scott
Yup, the M35A2 spare tire bracket and incorporated hoist that came off my 67 M35A2 (now with dual tanks!) is what I used and the hoist mechanism worked just the way it would on the deuce. No problems at all.

Like I said in the OP, this has been done before using the same equipment to mount the tire outboard of the frame under the corner of the trailer body. I didn't like how that stuck out a little and hurt the approach angle, SO I can't take all the credit for this one.

Also FYI I had to drill 2 new holes in the M35A2 bracket to mount it to the trailer frame since the frame is not as tall as the deuce frame. Use the same top holes and drill 2 new bottom holes. Before drilling the bottom holes note the location of the reinforcing pieces on the back of the cross-member so you don't drill a hole where a bolt can't go.

joshs1ofakindxj

Just throwing this out for the trailer experts who might look at this: why does my 68 M105A2 have a rear landing leg / stabilizor but my 67 M103A2 that used to have a genset on it does not? I would think the genset trailer would need it more...

LanceRobson

Just throwing this out for the trailer experts who might look at this: why does my 68 M105A2 have a rear landing leg / stabilizor but my 67 M103A2 that used to have a genset on it does not? I would think the genset trailer would need it more...
To my knowledge the rear stabilizer leg was not a factory standard on most, if any, of the trailers. Every one I saw in 29 years was field installed. Some units didn't have any and some units had them on everything.

Lance

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Impressive installation, Have you tried the landing gear..? Looks like a tight fit. Looks good and I am going to remember this thread when the time comes to just throw a spare tire in the back.

joshs1ofakindxj

Impressive installation, Have you tried the landing gear..? Looks like a tight fit. Looks good and I am going to remember this thread when the time comes to just throw a spare tire in the back.
The photo is misleading regarding the landing gear proximity. I should of took a picture from the side. The tire is probably 12" back from the front of the trailer bed. No where close to the landing gear.

On another note it is annoying the landing gear has to be lowered all the way to swing up into the tongue for transportation! I always forget to do that.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, how hard is it to get to the 2 lugnuts that secure the tire to the hoist? Looks like it might be a challenge.

joshs1ofakindxj

The dexterity of a Chinese weight lifter is not required. I am 6'2" and able to sit Indian-style under the trailer. Plenty of room to work.

Since this might be a once in a blue moon kind of thing, I'm not worried about getting down and dirty under the trailer to get the tire off and out.

indy4x4fab

Banned
I was thinking the same thing with my m105a2 that I put 11r20 xzl radials on.

Looks great.

Is there any way you could get us a couple close up pics of how it all mounts up to the cross member?

Trainman

Super idea. I was thinking about making mounts on top of the wheel wells when I get mine...but I would have lost alot of space doing that! Your way looks much better, and easier too!

:beer:

joshs1ofakindxj

If you copy this please mail one cold bud light to my address. Thanks! I could use it after working on the truck and trailer out in the sun. It is insanely humid and hot for May in SWPA. Blah!

3dAngus

I know what you mean. I'm cleaning out a house today and its 97 degrees.
Ill send you a can of Battling Bulldog beer if I find the part.
Its a Georgia Bulldog thing. Not drinkable but a collectibles in this part of the Country.
Difficult to get a cold one to ya.:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks