• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1061 to gooseneck

tobyS

I have my M1061 attached to my M931A2 tractor and thought about changing the pintle connection to a 5th wheel, then building a dump bed that goes forward of the trunion.

I need to haul a large amount of black muck dirt to a retail location on the other side of my farm and go out on the road. A front frame and dump bed would have to be fabricated, but I have a ready trunion plate and H beams.

Extending up over the 5th wheel would put a lot of the weight on the tractor and keep me short for maneuvering in the soft areas.

Has anyone seen or made such a thing with a 1061? Does it sound reasonable?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have my M1061 attached to my M931A2 tractor and thought about changing the pintle connection to a 5th wheel, then building a dump bed that goes forward of the trunion.

I need to haul a large amount of black muck dirt to a retail location on the other side of my farm and go out on the road. A front frame and dump bed would have to be fabricated, but I have a ready trunion plate and H beams.

Extending up over the 5th wheel would put a lot of the weight on the tractor and keep me short for maneuvering in the soft areas.

Has anyone seen or made such a thing with a 1061? Does it sound reasonable?
It does. I have people who use the 1082s. Pull the axle swap in a 14bolt. Smaller dual tires so it can go behind a pickup.

Then i saw them add the dump kit and cut the neck off and add a few feet to it and add a gooseneck for a pickup to them with their stock height.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

tobyS

Sure, makes even more sense for a 1082 or better yet a 1095. 1095's are hard to find and of course I have the 1061. Since I'd use it with the 931, I'd leave the heavier axle if I had a 1082.

I have an F450 van/bus (for salvage) that has a wide and low suspension (dual) that would be great for a trailer. Bells just went off in my head. I bought an LMTV bed and changed the plans so have that bed surplus. It would be a great trailer with the F450 rear end that could be pulled by a heavy pickup, deuce or 5 ton. Oops, diverting my own thread...(but I have to think in terms of selling some projects).

tobyS

I sold the 931 tractor but still have the M1061 trailer. My post came up in a search, so I'll continue it. Wes, thanks! A 1082 (or 1095) with goose-neck and lower duals would be a really nice rig behind a FMTV or 5 ton....maybe a deuce., PU yea...but brakes better work right and have a good trans cooler.

I put a ball hitch on my M35A3 4x4 project about over the axle and now considering the M1061 with goose-neck with a bit elongated front end of the trailer and make it a tilt bed.

Have you ever lifted the front of an M1061 until the rear frame bumper is just touching the axle? It rotates nice, keeping both axles firmly planted. The back, at that angle, is about a foot off the ground. It would seem to be easy to drive a (farm) tractor on it, with very small ramps that are flat with the bed top. New front frame and goose-neck would attach to the main axle trunion and have a cylinder to the A frame of the 1061 to raise and lower it for loading.

I'll plan about 4-6' of additional bed length in the front + the hitch, if I do this. One issue is that it makes a nice tow as it is, behind my M929A2, just not for my tractor. It would be much more usable for my tractor if I build it for the M35A3 4x4 as a goose-neck. My tractor is too long for the 1061 behind the M929.

Last edited: