• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1070 tire chains with pics

Hummermark

Hi,

I fitted tire chains to my M1070 but one side of the chains there is a hook on clip that has no function to tighten and the other side of the chains, I.e. The outside of the tire has a hook and tension latch. I have four sets of chains, they are all like this I would have thought more logically there should be a hook on and tension latch both sides. Is this correct? I have checked the operators manual - it is not that helpful and only shows a picture of the tension latch on the outside of the tire.

I realise that the chains as per the manual should not go on either steering manual but I wanted to trial fit and it is the most convenient one to do it on. I presume they say this as the brake actuator is higher up on the steel axles (although I have seen pictures of M1070s in service in the snow with chains fitted to all axles).

Thanks,

Mark

Attachments

Scrounger

What you have are regular tire chains. That is correct to have only a tension device on one side. As you have surmised the open hook goes to the inside of the tire and the tensioner goes to the outside. The way it was explained to me some time ago was that the inside chain is set to the proper position and the outside chain is used for tightening. Yes, it does require a little trial and error to install and adjust the chains properly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks