• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 crane options/alternatives?

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
as we all know military LMHC cranes are virtually impossible to find and are obscenely expensive….. what are other options that forum members are using ?…. My task is to be able to load a 600lb ATV and a 210lbs dirt bike into the bed…

thanks all

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Diesel service truck cranes like AutoCrane etc are found reasonably cheap at auctions. They can be found to pick up 1200 to 5000lbs. Run off of 12v and are self contained units.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of us with LMHC envy adapted Vestil truck jib cranes such as the WTJ-4. You have to fabricate a socket base to use the square bed hole. Thread here somewhere from 8 years ago.

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of us with LMHC envy adapted Vestil truck jib cranes such as the WTJ-4. You have to fabricate a socket base to use the square bed hole. Thread here somewhere from 8 years ago.
thanks....I see that Call Me Colt had a blip on one of his videos showing his Northern Tool crane...I have found my solution...

thanks all

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Horror Freight or Notherntools crane + Horror Freight 2K ATV winch.

Make a base insert out of 4"x4" box tube.

Rattle can paint.

/done

I've made three of them in the past four years (two for my trucks and one for my M1082 trailer, sans insert on the trailer of course...it's fixed mounted).

View attachment 844646

View attachment 844647
Whats the big white scoop for ? something else you stole from the elderly handicap van and now you use it for clam bakes

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking that was one more BIG BABY if it is a baby carrier!
You see that big ole orange fan in the back ground hes been doing this long enough to know them big ole girls get cranky if they get hot or run out of their 2 gallon sippy cups

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking that was one more BIG BABY if it is a baby carrier!
Im figuring out now why he has this deserted part of the beach he goes to when it gets dark !!!! When i see Third from Texas on the forum i start hearing that old song in my head SMOOOOTH OPERATAH SMOOOOOOOOTH OPPAHRAYYTORRR

Third From Texas

thanks....I see that Call Me Colt had a blip on one of his videos showing his Northern Tool crane...I have found my solution...

thanks all
Years ago I looked at the crane that Colt used. They have an angle that (by my calculations) would prevent it from being able to turn 360 degrees if your bed rails are installed. So I favor the "straight" vertical run that can be rotated w/o removing the bed rails.

Depends on if you want a 2K lift (in which case you'll just be pulling your bed rails/ aorgo cover frame. And assumes you use the existing OEM corner post drop-in bed holes for the crane.

ymmv

52534_2000x2000.jpg

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You see that big ole orange fan in the back ground hes been doing this long enough to know them big ole girls get cranky if they get hot or run out of their 2 gallon sippy cups
Another idea is the big orange fan connects to the baby carrier
- and it becones an Air Boat! (until the extension cord unplugs itself).

Third From Texas

roof fairing off of a freightliner cascadia maybe
$80 it was hard to pass up.

:)

Been hanging in the garage since I did a quick test fit on my first truck. Gonna take a bit of modification of course. It will go under the cab branch guard and will have access doors for the stowage area up top. I thought it would be nicer than tossing a couple big-ass boxes up top and can't hurt having a wee bit of aerodynamic improvement leading up to the M1079 box.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Been hanging in the garage since I did a quick test fit on my first truck. Gonna take a bit of modification of course. It will go under the cab branch guard and will have access doors for the stowage area up top. I thought it would be nicer than tossing a couple big-ass boxes up top and can't hurt having a wee bit of aerodynamic improvement leading up to the M1079 box.
Nice buy!
Maybe you can even make it into some sort of covered storage for light weight stuff.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Probably too late for one of these😉
They are definitely "the stuff".
I use mine on the M1089 a good bit and it is almost like having a third hand.
Having anything to do the heavy lifting while I pull levers is a good thing!

Last edited:

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Do you have any pics of your brush gaurd im getting closer to building a set of nerf bars the only thing im positive of that they will outline the windsheild and be able to have hinged flip over sort of like blast shields like they have on the missle launcher trucks they would lay on the roof till you fliped them over to rest on nerf bar below windshield and be able to lock them in place and the same for side glass to protect from rock throwers ect but be able to see to drive if you had too

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks