• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 Fuel Tanks

Oski1868

Has anyone had any experience with the standard "self sealing" fuel tanks on the M1078? Specifically what I am looking to do is mount an auxiliary tank in the area just aft of the regular tank placement. The problem of course is that there is only 3ft of available space along the frame. My thought is that I could buy a standard BAE tank on ebay and cut out 12" of the tank and weld it back together. (photo below) The question for me is what issues the "self-sealing" attribute of these tanks would present for such customization?

You guys haven't let me down yet ...

Thoughts!

tank.jpg

Attachments

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The self sealing tanks are MRAP. I dont believe you could cut one of those tanks down and retain the self seal feature. They are tig welded aluminum inside with special coatings. If you want a small aux tank one of the M931 tractor tanks are a bit smaller.

Oski1868

The self sealing tanks are MRAP. I dont believe you could cut one of those tanks down and retain the self seal feature. They are tig welded aluminum inside with special coatings. If you want a small aux tank one of the M931 tractor tanks are a bit smaller.
I am not worried about maintaining the "self sealing" quality ... just wasn't sure if the coating would make tig welding it back together a problem .

Thanks for the M931 tip ... I will look them up.

Duckworthe

I mounted a second tank behind the main tank. Bought a second 1078 tank and frame hangers. I mounted the hangers and then put the tank in place to check for clearance. I had to notch the tank to clear the rear leaf springs front hanger. I cut it out with a grinder and cut off wheel, then tig welded a filler plate to fill the whole. I probably lost about a half gallon of fuel capacity. These tanks are 3/16 thick aluminum and are very easy to weld up. Of course just follow basic safety concerns with cutting and welding on fuel tanks. I fill mine with water and then cut, it removes the vapors. I will try to post pics of mine later.

Oski1868

Duckworthe ... thanks for that post. Unfortunately I am in the process of mounting some fenders for the rear wheels using a fab'd 3" x 4" sq. beam that mounts just aft of the forward leaf spring hanger. (see photo) So unfortunately the whole second tank will need to fit between the hanger and the primary tank .
fender01.jpg
Unfortunately the tanks currently listed on ebay are from a Caiman ... so they are 19" deep as opposed to my 16" tank. I am just going to keep looking. I figure I can add it on to the frame at any point.

Thanks again for the post and I would greatly appreciate seeing photos if can post them. Always interesting to see different upgrades guys are making on these beasts ....

Duckworthe

Oski,
It is a pain to get pics to post on the site. I will try to get them to load as I can. Keep up the good work. Took me 13 months to get mine about 90% completed.
Eric

Oski1868

Oski,
It is a pain to get pics to post on the site. I will try to get them to load as I can. Keep up the good work. Took me 13 months to get mine about 90% completed.
Eric

Wow! That is exactly the path we are on. Did you build the camper box?

That is a great shot! (Is that from somewhere in Baja? .... Before we left California we used to make annual trips south of the border. Sure miss it!)

Finally finished the frame extension/new fenders project

IMG_20160313_163425.jpg

Next step is the subframe and flatbed.

Duckworthe

Yes I did build the camper from scratch. Started with 2 x 3 x 1/8 steel for the perimeter frame and 2x2 16 gauge studs. It took me about 7 months to build doing it after work and weekends. Built every cabinet in the thing also out of birch. and not the typical RV construction. Really doesn't weigh that much more and it is quality. Took it out to the dunes this past weekend and had a blast! I am getting almost 8MPG with heavy offroad use! Can't get pics to post. Give me a call anytime and I will tell you mu goods/bads and general issues and thoughts on it.

Hermannator

I bought 6 of the MRAP tanks at auction and I mounted two of the tanks in the bed. It adds 150+- gals of diesel. I built some support frames and will eventually strap the tanks to the supports but for now they are just cargo straps and the the whole thing is strapped to the bed. Sealed off the lower vent and gravity feed the tanks from above.

MRAP Tank Mod 2.jpgMRAP Tank Mod 1.jpgMRAP Tank Mod 3.jpgMRAP Tank Mod 6.jpgMRAP Tank Mod 4.jpg

I don't like to stop for fuel all of the time.

Hermannator

The MRAP tanks are 19" deep but they can be placed in the hangers by moving the tank slightly forward. We are thinking about taking the 1078 tank out and adding the thrid tank from MRAP in it's place.

Oski1868

The MRAP tanks are 19" deep but they can be placed in the hangers by moving the tank slightly forward. We are thinking about taking the 1078 tank out and adding the thrid tank from MRAP in it's place.
Pretty cool to have over 1200 mile range! San Antonio to San Diego on one fill up! Surf's up!

I haven't been able to find the M1078 tank (16" height) that would work for my space ... but I will keep looking. Let me know if you get rid of yours ...

Hermannator

We are tackling that issue this week. If you are interested we may very well be puling the stock tank, I will let you know. The extra fuel is really sweet for our off road onto the beach adventures. Padre island is 45 miles long out the 45 miles back. No way to refuel so either arrive with fuel or stop before heading onto the beach.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hey in regards to fuel tank capacity, any reason I can’t just cut and fill in this section of the tank?
For the amount of work you would gain 5 gal maybe Easier? Easier to swap an m939 series tank on. They are 81 gallons and around the same size

Some folks have used that L section for generator fuel tanks to be mounted.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks