• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 - M1083 Cab Air Suspension Bags/

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought the cost of eggs had really gone out of sight, and yes I do feel compassion because as usual the cost of feed has drastically increased. So the remedy is you either buy eggs or not.
The airbag on my 1083 decided to spring a leak but before I took it out I wanted to see if they are rebuildable or not, If you replace the unit (which by the way both sides are different), or what are my options. So lightheartedly I call a few surplus dealers and to my astonishment the price is in my option is absurd. Next EBay and they had a system that looks somewhat appealing after my first encounter. But now here is the reason for my writing after first venting, are there any substitutions? Any numbers that crossover from some wheelbarrow in the Marines? Or a piece of steel or wood? (A little facetious but my protest is screaming)
I am sure that I am not the first to encounter this so once again asking for your help.
Thank you and Merry Christmas
Lugnuts

So I am coming back in to edit my first post and throwing this out there, how about a modification on an air ride shock?

Last edited:

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought the cost of eggs had really gone out of sight, and yes I do feel compassion because as usual the cost of feed has drastically increased. So the remedy is you either buy eggs or not.
The airbag on my 1083 decided to spring a leak but before I took it out I wanted to see if they are rebuildable or not, If you replace the unit (which by the way both sides are different), or what are my options. So lightheartedly I call a few surplus dealers and to my astonishment the price is in my option is absurd. Next EBay and they had a system that looks somewhat appealing after my first encounter. But now here is the reason for my writing after first venting, are there any substitutions? Any numbers that crossover from some wheelbarrow in the Marines? Or a piece of steel or wood? (A little facetious but my protest is screaming)
I am sure that I am not the first to encounter this so once again asking for your help.
Lugnuts

So I am coming back in to edit my first post and throwing this out there, how about a modification on an air ride shock?
Here's something...not sure if this will help you.

Last edited:

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's something...not sure if this will help you.

Appreciate It. Gives me something to look into. I'll let you know how this turns out.

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LMTV Cab Suspension Airbags Alternative/ This post is from 2019 by FloridaAKM/
I found it researching the other fellow above. This should be able to be found in search I would imagine.

Mavcaster

Is it a little odd he doesn’t share his source and you have to message him to get a set? These bags can’t be that hard to find I wouldn’t think…

Mavcaster

It appears the bags used in the video are PowerPacker KA5066

Not sure how legit this site is but says they have new ones in stock for $145…if so then that’s a whole lot better than the $300ea he wants in the video

EDITED TO REMOVE URL (possible scam website)

Last edited:

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It appears the bags used in the video are PowerPacker KA5066

Not sure how legit this site is but says they have new ones in stock for $145…if so then that’s a whole lot better than the $600s he wants in the video

The ones in the video are Firestone. Does Power Packer make Firestone products???

I would be very, very careful with this website. When checked it looks like a scam site (?)

Per Scamdoc.com this website was just created this year. Again, be careful...if it sounds to good to be true, it usually is!

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ones in the video are Firestone. Does Power Packer make Firestone products???

I would be very, very careful with this website. When checked it looks like a scam site (?)

Per Scamdoc.com this website was just created this year. Again, be careful...if it sounds to good to be true, it usually is!

I figured I would run it through Fleetpride and get a better feel for it that way. Thanks. At least I got some numbers to work from without taking the unit out of service to disassemble.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
By the way, I remember reading a past post here on SS, someone replacing the air bags with an aftermarket air bag but I can't seem to fine it at this time. If I find it I will post it.

With that said, and I know they are somewhat $$$,but I'm still considering going with these.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The correct air bag is a Power Packer PP997900:

As referenced in PS magazine November 2008 page 11:

coachgeo

Lugnuts

Here is a possible solution someone found . Might have to trim or re-fab the bracket so not to hit tires.. esp. if you go to larger tires..."ADD LIMIT STRAP"? if you don't trust shock to hold rear of cab on chassis in accident. .. Drawing appears to be the item after bag is fully expanded. In photo Cab air bag looks much smaller than drawing but it is before expansion. Good thing though is it is generic replacement parts. About half the price of other options

Attachments

Last edited:

Mavcaster

No the old ones (original) in the video are firestone bags but the ones he installs (strategically doesn’t show the top with the label) are made by goodyear. This is why the bags are a little longer than the stock ones. @GeneralDisorder is correct though, the correct part number is PP997900 with the firestone bags but KA5066 will also work as demonstrated in the video and on another thread on this site.

Mavcaster

Yeah don’t order from that site I posted earlier (I removed the link). The contact address is some random apt in NV and looks like they’re just duplicating ebay items.

Use the link @GeneralDisorder posted from Ohio Hydraulics, maybe just call and see if they have any in stock. Still $$$ but cheaper than MME…

Last edited:

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to throw in my 2 cents. I just replaced the driver side airbag. Keep in mind, even though they are different sides, the airbag itself is the same either way. Colt has a great install video on his YouTube channel replacing his. I used the powerpacker airbags that General Disorder listed above and bought them from Ohio Hydraulics I believe. It took about 15 minutes to replace that bad airbag. They had them in stock and I got mine within 5-7 days. $344 each (I bought 2 and will replace the passenger side when it goes out). Now I know $344 (plus shipping) is not exactly cheap, but a far cheaper alternative than trying to locate a NOS (or replacing both sides with one of the newer replacement systems.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The crazy thing is that $344 is cheap compared to the price the government shows for the bags - $2075.09 for the bags on their own (each).

Strange thing is they don't want you ordering those apparently because the whole assembly that includes the air bag is only about $900. That's the bag and and the housing they call it an "air spring"

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My springs (shocks actually) inside the air bags were okay. Those were also not available by themselves, so I was happy when we took it apart and found the springs were still good. And of course, when the government spends money, it's not always because it makes sense LOL.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the cab air ride I’m kinda on the fence right now.
When I’m driving there is a knocking so I thing the shocks are bad but the airbags seem okay and stay inflated.
Buy the replacement bags/shocks and have them sent to me for around $ $750-$800 total or buy the complete replacement kit from Midwest Military Equipment and have them sent to me for around $1,050-$1,075 total. A difference of about $300 which in the main scheme of thing isn’t that bad. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not into throwing money away…oh yeah, I have an FMTV 🤪

The main pros and cons for me are:
1. The replacement bags are the bag and shock together where as the new system the bag and shock are separate. You can buy the shock and bag independent of each other and are readily available at a fraction of the cost of the replacements.
2. The new kit is just that, new. All the videos of the guys and posts I’ve seen using the new kit seem to really like them.
3. The new kit is not keeping with the original look but similar function. The new kit does little if anything to protect the air bag or shock from rock or debris damage. Not that I will be driving it like the military did or would do, so not a big deal for me. But, the new kit is open and you can clearly see the bag and shock to check for function and damage and must simpler to do maintenance or repair.
4. Installation of both systems are kind of a push for me.
5. One thing that I did read/see is that with the new kit, if you use the larger tires it was reported that the tire may rub the shock a little at a full turning radius?
6. As mentioned above, the PS magazine states that the bags should be kept inflated at all times except if in transport or the bags could be damaged by the internal shock pitching the bag. The new kit, not an issue.

So after I read what I just wrote it seems like I’m leaning toward the new kit, but I’m still on the fence. I have until spring to decide because that is when I would do the repair.
Well, that’s my 2cents, what it’s worth.

Tom.

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK guys, heres the poop
I ordered 2 bags (PP997900) from
OhioHydraulic.com (notice no s in hydraulic)
Phone 800-828-0049 Ask for Mike
Price was $364.50 a piece
Said I would have it between Christmas and January 1 (we'll see)

Fleetpride contacted PowerPack themselves and they said they were 20 weeks out. And the reason it say Firestone on the bag is because in building them, they purchase that part from Firestone.

That's it Merry Christmas

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks