• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M107A1 Water Buffalo Questions?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just acquired a Water Buffalo from TimNTrucks and in the process of fixing her up. I estimate she is from the mid 60's-70's. No data plate but Id her from the tm as the A1. Single air line, single wheel cyls, and I have a plate over the water pipes inbetween the bread boxes.

1. Are the bread boxes on the front for the water valves bolted on?
Mine are welded to the water tank cradle frame that sits on top of the trailer frame. Not sure if a field fix or mod down the road. I can't seem to find anything in the tm. I have found the newer M149 has bolt on boxes. If you have actual pics of a M107 bread box, Could you share?

2. Any color pics of any any variant of the MERDC camo on a m107?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
The boxes are welded just like you say yours is, at least on m107s I’ve seen.
100F5311-4586-482A-A1EB-F2242C7DE3F5.jpegCFA4DEB6-9121-40CD-BACD-F785E2FD5CD1.jpeg4A20FD4E-82A2-4813-9A12-A6F8D54D205F.jpeg49145765-4B06-401A-93DA-B4BE4191F9DD.jpeg

The plumbing on this one was redone with non original parts, some from the later m149 series water trailers.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The boxes are welded just like you say yours is, at least on m107s I’ve seen.
View attachment 827944View attachment 827945View attachment 827946View attachment 827947

The plumbing on this one was redone with non original parts, some from the later m149 series water trailers.
Is that your beauty?

Most awesome workmanship.

Yes my boxes are welded like that but definitely don't look like those. They are dented, rusted. and just plain beat up.... I might have GoldnEagle help me fabricate replacements or cut the remains off and use M149 bread boxes but I can only find one of the sides...so I might have to just drill a new hole for the water line on the correct side and be done.

Thanks also for the valves and plumbing pictures. I am missing at least one but have no hope of finding originals so a standard faucet would work. I have not tested the exisitng plumbing to see if it holds water or works.

Mine has the bracket on the front tank for the pump but the older parking brake handles. It does have the shelf over the plumbing also inbetween the boxes. Is your data plate a M107A1?

The bread boxes were bolted on, nothing welded. Nothing between the bread boxes other then the plumbing. This is ours in 1973-74. Front landing leg missing. It was like that for 3 years. View attachment 827930
by the fender with grab handle and tank shape, I am calling that a M149. I hate to be the private(s) that lifts it with water on to the log....

Thanks for the pics as I am thinking of a brown/desert Merdc since my fleet is all tan.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Is that your beauty?

Most awesome workmanship.

Yes my boxes are welded like that but definitely don't look like those. They are dented, rusted. and just plain beat up.... I might have GoldnEagle help me fabricate replacements or cut the remains off and use M149 bread boxes but I can only find one of the sides...so I might have to just drill a new hole for the water line on the correct side and be done.

Thanks also for the valves and plumbing pictures. I am missing at least one but have no hope of finding originals so a standard faucet would work. I have not tested the exisitng plumbing to see if it holds water or works.

Mine has the bracket on the front tank for the pump but the older parking brake handles. It does have the shelf over the plumbing also inbetween the boxes. Is your data plate a M107A1?
Thanks, my dad owns it. The boxes on it weren't too bad but I did weld in some new metal on one of them. The data plate is an NOS replacement marked m107a2, which I believe was the correct one for it. I'm pretty sure members have had repro plates made for these as originals can be tough to find. We were fortunate to find some parts off m149s for the plumbing, although whatever will work just fine. Mostly it's just used for handwashing at the barn and occasionally to pressure wash.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those boxes are out there in the surplus world. Usually labelled as tool boxes.
I have had no luck in finding them for a m107, part number 8384106 nsn 5342-00-420-4988.

I think that since they are welded, maybe not replaced often and I think these trailers were 60-70's manufacture. Not sure when the last M107A2C were produced?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, my dad owns it. The boxes on it weren't too bad but I did weld in some new metal on one of them. The data plate is an NOS replacement marked m107a2, which I believe was the correct one for it. I'm pretty sure members have had repro plates made for these as originals can be tough to find. We were fortunate to find some parts off m149s for the plumbing, although whatever will work just fine. Mostly it's just used for handwashing at the barn and occasionally to pressure wash.
I am thinking of just cutting the boxes off as all 4 pieces are really crummy and hinges beat up and just use 2 m149 boxes that bolt on and preserving the clasps that are unique to the m107. Compromises to keep it as original as possible.

I have found only data plates for M107A2C so that is what I am going to use and register in friendly Maine.

According to the tm:
A2 has 2 wheel cyls per hub
A2C has 2 wheel cyls and 2 air hoses

Is Freuhauf the manufacture of that one?

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also seeking a picture or part number for the handheld water pump that attaches to the front U channel bracket on the front of the tank?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I am thinking of just cutting the boxes off as all 4 pieces are really crummy and hinges beat up and just use 2 m149 boxes that bolt on and preserving the clasps that are unique to the m107. Compromises to keep it as original as possible.

I have found only data plates for M107A2C so that is what I am going to use and register in friendly Maine.

According to the tm:
A2 has 2 wheel cyls per hub
A2C has 2 wheel cyls and 2 air hoses

Is Freuhauf the manufacture of that one?
Yep it’s a Fruehauf. 2 wheel cylinders per hub with just a single brake hose.

SailorJoe

Just acquired a Water Buffalo from TimNTrucks and in the process of fixing her up. I estimate she is from the mid 60's-70's. No data plate but Id her from the tm as the A1. Single air line, single wheel cyls, and I have a plate over the water pipes inbetween the bread boxes.

1. Are the bread boxes on the front for the water valves bolted on?
Mine are welded to the water tank cradle frame that sits on top of the trailer frame. Not sure if a field fix or mod down the road. I can't seem to find anything in the tm. I have found the newer M149 has bolt on boxes. If you have actual pics of a M107 bread box, Could you share?

2. Any color pics of any any variant of the MERDC camo on a m107?

Hey looks like we got 107s on the same day! Here's MERDC for ya, I'm stripping the whole thing and going back to 24087 with all correct markings for Vietnam.

This guy is an XM107a2 from 1952.
162350148_1004262646767928_5464835811409622881_n.jpg

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice. Looks in great shape. Mine has the Vietnam olive drab underneath the green carc. Can actually see the white US army on one side.

I will probably start a thread on my refurb.

Question for all?
The tank is bare aluminum in some places. Is rustoleum rusty metal primer ok to use?
Or what can I use that is brush on?

jasonjc

Very nice. Looks in great shape. Mine has the Vietnam olive drab underneath the green carc. Can actually see the white US army on one side.

I will probably start a thread on my refurb.

Question for all?
The tank is bare aluminum in some places. Is rustoleum rusty metal primer ok to use?
Or what can I use that is brush on?
The rusty metal primer needs rust to stick good. For the aluminum tank I'd use this https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/stops-rust/flat-aluminum-primer It's made for aluminum.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey looks like we got 107s on the same day! Here's MERDC for ya, I'm stripping the whole thing and going back to 24087 with all correct markings for Vietnam.

This guy is an XM107a2 from 1952.
View attachment 828905
Was Frehauf also the manufacture of yours?

Thanks for the date. I Am beginning to think mine is 50's vintage instead of my swag 60's.

Also post more pictures when you can. Does it have the pump bracket on the front of the tank?

or the Rear Landing leg?

It seems in the tm, they removed the rear leg for the A1 & A2 models. Not sure why or the thinking behind it? My frame has the holes and i plan on putting one back.

Last edited:

SailorJoe

Was Frehauf also the manufacture of yours?

Thanks for the date. iIam beginning to think mine is 50's vintage instead of my swag 60's.

Also post more pictures when you can. Does it have the pump bracket on the front of the tank?

or the Rear Landing leg?

It seems in the tm, they removed the rear leg for the A1 & A2 models. Not sure why or the thinking behind it? My frame has the holes and i plan on putting one back.

Can do, I'll grab some pictures no. on another note, I saw you have an M101 genny set up? you mind shooting some pictures of that? I got on that I'm planning on putting a MEP 003a on, just want see a set up one.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, Let me know specifically what you would like pics of. I did all the mounting for the tank and pick up tube on body frame but did not yet do anything in the bed to mount and set up the gen set.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks