• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1083A1 - non runner 50 miles from St Augustine

WassawBound

I've spent the last few years watching my buddy in CA build his LMTV. I feel like Doc in Back To the Future. I must have hit my head! I recently won a bid on a non runner. It's a M1083A1.

I still have all the EUC to deal with. Who knows what my delivery date will be.

It's not running and the brakes are already caged. Either the brake system is broke or the soldiers started robbing parts from it. It's missing the cans on a couple drums. I need to have a tow company or transporter get it home 50 miles. One axle is pulled already. I imagine it was towed in and left that way.

The question is, how to get it backed into the drive way? Will the tow company have a means to do this? Is there anybody near St Augustine that has the tow bars that could help back it in?

James

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the thought Wes and I will catch up with you when your back is turned.
WassawBound I am running antique tags and I would not want to risk any problems on the road. Plus there is somethings that do need to be done and checked before the truck could even be flat towed. Myself best thing would be a flat bed with winch if the truck does not start. I know getting it into a driveway and backwards is a problem to.
On a side on my 1088 MTV tractor full length of the caging bolts hits the front shock and I had to cut them down to fit. I do not know if that can be a problem with the cargo trucks. If it is then caging might be a problem on some cans. Sorry I can not help and hope you get it figured.

Attachments

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the thought Wes and I will catch up with you when your back is turned.
WassawBound I am running antique tags and I would not want to risk any problems on the road. Plus there is somethings that do need to be done and checked before the truck could even be flat towed. Myself best thing would be a flat bed with winch if the truck does not start. I know getting it into a driveway and backwards is a problem to.
On a side on my 1088 MTV tractor full length of the caging bolts hits the front shock and I had to cut them down to fit. I do not know if that can be a problem with the cargo trucks. If it is then caging might be a problem on some cans. Sorry I can not help and hope you get it figured.
I believe all the 5to Fmtvs have the caging bolt issue. Here’s a excerpt from ps mag I found a while back and posted somewhere before

Attachments

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe all the 5to Fmtvs have the caging bolt issue. Here’s a excerpt from ps mag I found a while back and posted somewhere before
Dang still reading through all 18425 pages of all the TM's left so guess when done I will have to play catch up on the PS magazine. Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
First time I went to cage my rear axle on the M1088, I thought I had been gypped!
I wondered why there was a short bolt and a long bolt.

When I went around to the shock side, I was pretty happy to have that short bolt!
It is tight, but the factory bolt does fit behind the shock.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea mine were to much trouble to play with so I cut them down here at home. Also my truck did not have any diaphragm problems when I brought it home. Here he is picking up a un known truck so it might be better to have the cut ones on hand. He can play with it when he gets it home as there are two many other things that he needs to do to even flat tow. Maybe not so much if it is trailed but if so some cans might need to be caged so have the short ones on hand no matter what. The cage bolt being cocked might not be a good thing as it might only be catching on one tab of the caging bolt head. You dang sure you would not want a cage bolt failure while flat towing.
On a side note they are pretty good up in Butler so you might be able to go look and inspect any problems before you get your EUC. If you need a list of things that might need to be done or to bring just ask. That way very little might need to be done when you go to pick it up.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks