• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 is coming home!

Welder Sam

If ya want to make nice things, ya need to start with nice parts. I agree that its nice. Itll be hard to butcher it but, as it is, its not what i want. Soon, it will be.

Welder Sam

The cab is going to be used for my crewcab. The hood and fenders will likely go on that one too. The hard top will go onto yet another truck. The frame will be measured off, cut, and drawn in to form a tounge. The remainder will stay with the enginge/trans and get legs welded on for a storage stand.

It starts soon here if it hasnt already! Gotta get movin now that i can!
I see a 109 as a narrow usage design in the first place. Kinda like an suv. They're great and all but they're not as useful as a true truck but I like it. Its still just a really cool donor rig.

Welder Sam

took me about 2 miles but i got it to 54mph before i called it good. 54 is plenty for now. no shimmys or shakes but it did a bit of the top heavy weave. if its not to wet tomorrow, ill pimp it back to work, just to piss off the boss. word is, he was HOT about it being parked in front of HIS shop. huh... we:jumpin::driver::jumpin:ll... makes sense seeing as how hes a draft-dod***. i just hope my next 2 drive that good. may go get a winch truck and solidify another deal for a winch truck and an 816 this weekend. its supposed to run over 60. doubt ill push it that hard tho.

:driver::jumpin::driver::jumpin:

no more than 5mins after i ulled in and parked today, a couple vehicles went by and everyone had their phones out of the windows taking pics. after work, a few of the guys i work with wanted to check it out. one even got a ride home snd was cheesin all the way!

Welder Sam

So i put on some of those fancy mirrors tonight. The ones with 2 mirrors on each one. WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE THEY MAKE!!! May put on a pair or rear leds if there wont be any additional hassels with that swap and drop in a pushbutton headlight switch. Just figuring things out.
:beer:

Welder Sam

i took the truck for a little ride this afternoon. 140 or so miles. it ran great. temp was at 180. when i pushed it for a few miles, it crept to just over 180. maybe a needles width higher. theres still a slight smell of coolant.

i got some ear muffs for this weekends 350mi trip home with a winch truck. :beer:

Welder Sam

ok. so i dont think ill use it for parts. ill definately remove the bed tho. the trailer notion hasnt and wont change. after 600 miles in the winch truck in under 3 weeks, i think itll be easier to just swap the winch than to swap engine and trans. time to put in the new gauges, clear lamp filters, push button headlight switch, hubs, led front, rear and headlights. maybe swap out the spring seat or at least put in the new shock

Welder Sam

instead of parting this one, ive decided to build the crewcab on kit. so far, ive focused more on the M-214 build than the crewcab. this is what ive got so far. pic 4 is the 105a3 bed that ill use. trailer suspension is in great shape but ill be using front springs instead

Attachments

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice score Sam! Can't wait to hear about your commie boss' reaction when you start driving it to work!! Good on ya!

Welder Sam

Hahaha! When i drove this one in,the whole place smelled like a bbq from his bottom end being flamed! Love the truck but have partially dismantled it. I did it for the greater good of being all inclusive to my family. The truck will become a crewcab and the shop van box is now my "M-214". So when we go camping, we will all take one truck, be able to talk via vic1, and have a warm/cool dry place to sleep

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You gonna have a dressing station built in, for whatever you bag while hunting? I'm thinking a swing-arm crane in the back with a hand-crank winch...but then again, the light-duty 12V winches from HF are pretty inexpensive, and handy.... :jumpin:

Welder Sam

Huh. Hadnt figured on actually killing anything more than time but that notion could be built into a removable hand rail. Weld the hand winch onto the bottom of the deck. Add. A pulley to make the corners smoothly and then its a double duty tool

Last edited: