• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1097A2 USAF special ops Black Gator

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On Sat I participated in the Lakeview Veterans Parade in New Orleans.

There was a black USAF m1097a2 from Alexandria, LA (probably Pineville?) participating. I was told it was Air Force special ops with FAC forward air control duties with a custom helmet top. All kinds of Antenna on it including Sat Egg beater on Roof and 2 I think RF-390 multi band bases with whips. The whips are all black and have small black mushroom rubber tips like the as3900 but smaller. They showed me extra masts and they are black from factory. There was another base on the rear of the helmet with nothing hooked to it.

Found this description on web for them:
Special Tactics TACP Airmen deploy with Special Operations Forces to provide Joint Terminal Attack Control, or JTAC. Integrating air combat power and surface fires into the ground scheme of maneuver, they enable dynamic, synergistic, and lethal firepower on today's battlefield.

Over the front dog house is a ram type mount for a tablet not a BFTS. Ontop of it is an interesting VIC with external speaker and multiple jacks for all crewmen to plug in. Not sure what is its designation as I had never seen one.

Custom deck with lid takes over the rear left seat. Storage and also still has the seat base underneath.

There was a radio pallet in a hardig type case that opens on both sides with many radios. Could not really get a good view and I could not identify the radios. Most were all black and small case size. Since they were small, lots of room for plenty of gizmos. I was also told there was a small power supply/inverter? on bottom.

On the driver's side the helmet top had a small door right behind where the seat would have been. There was a mount bolted to the top of the fender with a sliding tube for a Harris HF base with tilt adapter. Open door, slide base on tube out and ready to go. Already had cable in tube with slack ready to go.

The base truck was unimpressive and surprised to find 12 bolt and older mvt rim/tires. White barcode sticker on driver's right footwell id as M1097A2.

Since these guys were from La, naturally the truck was named Black Gator.

Unfortunately no electronic gizmos or antennas fell off that I could scoop off the road :)

Cool and different truck

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm seeing a recruiting eye candy piece. Paint job looks Krylon rattle can. Am I way off base?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm seeing a recruiting eye candy piece. Paint job looks Krylon rattle can. Am I way off base?
No, I think it started as a tactical vehicle and re purposed. I even joked with them that is looked rattle can and not carc. Forgot to take rear pic but it showed the rattle can signs clearly. Also no x doors, they had soft black doors they pulled off. No Armour or sign of it. Phone numbers on each side are also different!

They had the lanyards, key chains and other freebies. I told them I had other "freebies" in mind. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks