• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m109a3

fittz16

Hey i am new to this site and i am debating about getting a M109a3 shop van deuce. but i am not sure what to look for when i am looking at the deuce to make sure all the brakes and tires and engine work. I was out there last week and drove it around the brakes seemed to work and the engine started right up. But i was wondering if $1500 is a reasonable price for a 1967 M109a3 shop van with mild rust. The tires seemed to be ok not alot of wear for tear.

Attachments

fittz16

it seems like a great by but i am worried that it is going to break down on the drive back from the dealer it is 73 miles away from where i live.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is always a possibility with a 40+ year old truck. The most important feature on the truck is the brakes. If it quits running you can just pull off the road, it it quits stopping some bad juju can happen. You can part it and make your money back for sure. I would look over the brakes, lines and hoses real good and then do some serious crisis stops before taking it out on the road. I would also caution you to download TM 9-2320-361-10 and digest that info before getting behind the wheel. Know where to check your brake fluid before you get there because that is paramount. Information available in the TM (operators manual) is stuff you need to know BEFORE getting behind the wheel and many folks here won't give you that info since the manuals are free. I can't express it enough, read that manual.

Oh, welcome to Steel Soldiers!

gunboy1656

First off welcome to the site, I live 40 miles north of the city.

Where is this truck at? There are members all around and even in the city who if you ask nice might help if you get into trouble, or want another set of eyes to look over the truck.

Does it have a title? Getting paperwork on these trucks is not getting easier. Some trucks you find the owner did not get a title, then the truck resells, cheap, then the new owner is waiting for the next sucker to take it off his hands.

Fittz, is that you in your avatar?

DeuceNewb

how many miles. Are there any rust holes in it? I would try to get it for 1K to 1200, then even if it dies on the way home you can part it and still make money

fittz16

ya it is in the kittaning area but i live in wexford and there are no major or minor rust holes in the body or the shop part. it has maybe 20,000 miles on it and was last inspected in 2004 and was apparently a daily driver used for a tree nursery. drove like 20 miles a day back in 2004 but now sits on a small airport. and where would i part it out if it does break down? that is in the pittsburgh area?

fittz16

i shall thanks but when i was looking at it everything looked good to me atleast. but if you dont end up getting this deuce would someone else be interested i can give you the guys name, phone number and email.

Capt.Marion

If I'm not mistaken, there are some members in the Pittsburgh area, or not too far away. I'd try and find someone who has a deuce, and see if they'd take you through the ropes of deuce operation/care/what to look for when buying, and then make a decision.

6x6guy

That rear compartment diesel heater is worth a lot and is in big demand, I have had several offers from people and wanted to know much just for the heater- I tell them I'm not interested in selling that particular item- thats why theres a lock on the back door just in case somebody likes it more than me. :roll:

fittz16

Does it have a title? Getting paperwork on these trucks is not getting easier. Some trucks you find the owner did not get a title, then the truck resells, cheap, then the new owner is waiting for the next sucker to take it off his hands.

Fittz, is that you in your avatar?
no that isnt me that is my friend that helps with car work with me she was there when i looking at the deuce she is a big grease monkey. But he does have the title and everything .

fittz16

thanks sephirothq i will try to make it out there if i had a chance but i live around the pittsburgh area and go to slippery rock college and do you think i can get a parking permit for it? lol

Green_gator

If you plan to use the rear area much check the roof for rusted through spots. A quick way to tell of you have a rust issue is to look at the bottom of the panels inside the shop. If you have had water leaking into the box for an extended period of time it will rust through at the bottom. A second quick check is to look at the screw heads in the roof, as you will see rust spots there if you have water leaks. I have just finished welding in new steel along the roof of mine and sealing all of the seams. Time to put the windows back in and rip out the flooring. If the vehicle is titled and runs that is a good price for a shop van.
I like monkeys.