• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1102 retrieval - My first...

greene

I have a couple of questions that I hope you folks can help me out with:
1) Can someone please confirm that the level towing height of the lunette on an M1102 is 29.5 inches?
2) How can I determine if the "Three MWO's" are needed or not?
3) What is involved in the conversion to civilian tires/wheels? I want to go to 5 on 5 inch (5x127.0) to match a 2013 Jeep JKU. Do I just need to replace the spindle's, hubs, and drums or do I need to replace the axle?
Thanks in advance for your help!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Towing height is in the TM 9-2330-392-13&P The MWO's if done will have the MWO triangles on the trailer. No idea on converting to new hubs.

greene

Thank you emmado22 - I realize that if the MWO's were done than the trailer will have the triangles, but that is only if they were needed. How do I determine if they are needed or not?

greene

I have not seen the trailer yet. The auction didn't post the manufacture date or pictures of the data plates. The only identifying information I have so far is that it is serial number 073120091853. Is there any way to determine a date of manufacture from that?

harleyhouse

The M1102 has torsion axles so you will need to find the axle mfg and see if the offer a hub that fits the spindle that has a 5 x 5 pattern.
The trailer is wider than the jeep so watch your side clearances.
Here is a diagram with measurements and a picture behind a jeep.
Good luck on the pick up and keep us posted on the build.

Attachments

greene

Thanks for the info Harleyhouse.
That Jeep in the picture looks like it has been lifted but it still looks like the trailer is not level. The top of the receiver on my un-lifted Jeep is at 20". I am planning on using this 10" riser to get me into the 29.5" ballpark:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VAUK4W/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I don't know how I'm going to find out the axle manufacturer, I was hoping that spindles were standard sizes and that I could find a hub at Harbor Freight/Tractor supply that would match the Jeep bolt pattern.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the SN you posted, your trailer was delivered on 7/31/09, and manufactured by Schutt Industries, built under contract W56HZV-08-D-0107. There will be no tags, as the MWOs were only for the 1997 contract trailers. All the trailers built after the MWO's were issued had them integrated. Make sense? That Jeep looks lifted to me. As for changing the hubs/ spindles to your jeep specs, that maybe a bit tough. Hayes Axle makes the brake drums that are on it, part #9089324. I'd call them and see what they say. Let me know if you need more info.

Last edited: