• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1123A2 engine noise while traveling on highway.

Creed

Hey guys. Drive my hmmwv on highway for first time. I got an astounding 49 mph. While coasting my engine gets really loud for a while, dies down and then starts again. Is that normal. Its seems a fan or RPM just gets really high and can hardly hear anything in the cabin. I will post a video. Hopefully you can hear the difference.

Creed

Hey guys. Drive my hmmwv on highway for first time. I got an astounding 49 mph. While coasting my engine gets really loud for a while, dies down and then starts again. Is that normal. Its seems a fan or RPM just gets really high and can hardly hear anything in the cabin. I will post a video. Hopefully you can hear the difference.
Added video. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Reactions: OBX

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the fan kicking in towards the end of the video if that is what you are talking about, it does also seem to be running quite a few RPMs for 50MPH.
Is it shifting or are you running along in 2nd gear?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you may be running in limp mode, again is the transmission shifting? no real difference in the turbo, horsepower difference is very marginal.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also is does not sound like you are "coasting" the only time you coast in a HMMWV is occasionally downhill.
Could you mean while cruising?

Creed

Also 49 mph is horrible. I was thinking of this turbo vs. a swap. Lot less money. What do you think?
That is the fan kicking in towards the end of the video if that is what you are talking about, it does also seem to be running quite a few RPMs for 50MPH.
Have in overdrive and H.

Attachments

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
if the max you can do is 49mph then either you're stuck in limp mode (2nd gear) or you have a power output issue.

Does it feel like it's shifting gears at all?

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After listening to the video it sounds like you are only in 2nd gear and the fan should stay on like 2 min. Try shifting the gears manually and see if you are shifting properly.

Mark

Creed

I don't feel it shifting. Is there anyway to know for sure?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It should be quite obvious if it is shifting or not, when in limp mode it would seem to bog a little on takeoff (starting in second instead of 1st) and then it does not shift, thing makes too much noise not to notice when it shifts.

Reactions: 98G
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks