• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116 Axle Flip

Ripcord01

I have a trailer I was going to move the axle under the springs to drop 4 inches in trailer height. But before I do this, I want to know if this will reduce my loading weight? Has anyone added spacers to the tires?

KsM715

It shouldnt affect the load capacity but you'll lose alot of room for that axle to move up. I bet unloaded on a small bump you'd bottom out the frame on the axle.

What do you mean by tire spacers? You mean wheel spacers to give you a little wider wheel track? If you run it loaded often you'll need to keep an eye on your wheel bearings.

Ripcord01

Jeff, thanks for the info. I will leave it as it is. I don't want to tear the trailer up.The roads here are not that great. I was refering to wheel spacers yes. What does the wheel bearings have to do with the use of Wheel Spacers?

steelypip

If you put spacers on a spindle, the center line of the wheel has moved outboard. Wheel bearings are usually set up to carry some designed proportion of weight on inner and outer. Most trailer bearings are supposed to have 50/50 weight distribution, which is why they're often identical inboard and outboard. If you put a spacer on, you move the weight around and can have bearing problems.