• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116 Series Trailers

BM59_Fan

Hi all,

I obtained a flatbed Military trailer this last month for $150.00 that I discovered is a M116A1 that was once used to mount a welding generator unit. The ID plates are missing but the configuration is unmistakeable. This is not mine but this is the basic configuration http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/atta...-tech-contest-cruiser-buildup-picture-188.jpg except the brake handles are different. I have found a connector harness and obtained two tail light assemblies and have had to change out the connector with one that fits my '73 710K Pinz trailer connector. Still trying to find a new M116A1 ID data plate for the trailer and the four bows for the trailer.

A question is how old it is and I see one major difference in the hand brake handles that may help. The currently built trailers all have brake handles that operate fore and aft and are straight, the ones on my trailer are curved and operate side to side. I "think" that it is a Vietnam period trailer as the old veteran in Wagon Mound NM that I bought it from has had it for quite a while. This younger veteran will tow it behind my Pinz!!

Any know when the brake handles changed configuration, and do any have a link to the correct age TM9-2330-202-14&P for the trailer? I will take some pics of the trailer and post them in a bit.

Thanks

Mike
Las Vegas NM

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
The curved brake handles that operate side to side would indicate that it is an original m116 trailer, not an a1 model. Early m116s would have a light receptacle between the handles for a separate light cable. Later m116s (and m116a1s) have the light cable wired to the trailer through a junction box on the drivers side frame rail. The brakes themselves are also different on the m116 vs. the m116a1. They started making m116s around the early fifties, not sure when the a1 model came out but I imagine it was around 1962 as that is when the manual was updated.

BM59_Fan

Thank You for the INFO!!!! I searched for M116 ID plates and found a vendor that has them, now I have to figure out what to stamp on it so I can put it on the street behind my Pinz! Any historical info on the M116 trailer that any might have would be very helpful infilling out the blanks on the data plate!!! Licensing and tagging this trailer will be an adventure as there is no original bill of sale from the military available.

BM59_Fan

Glassk,

Thanks for the info. This is what mine looks like, notice the brake handle configuration which is curved and operates side to side. I do not have the connector harness or top bows for mine.
IMG_7809_zps89562110.jpg

glassk

wheel.jpgoff roads.jpg
I changed the axle and coupler also put a swing up wheel instead of the leg, have the bows and al in Montana has my cover right now, tan,...not pulling it with a Pinz though,..;)

Last edited:

johan77

DSCI0044.jpghi, i have an, what apears to be an Original m116a1 trailer, i have it recently so i'm still doing some research about the (unit) markings that are still on it and about the year, wich i believe is around the '70's. can someone help me with the unit identification and abrevatations that are on the trailer? DSCI0045.jpgDSCI0046.jpg

Last edited:

mf5129

that picture is a m101 vietnam era.they used 8 lug 16 inch wheels in the mid 80s till middle 90s.the older trailers had 6 lug wheels with split rims

mf5129

thats right.i also had one that used a 6 lug hub similar to a early ford f-350.early 60s/it was a 67 turtle mountain genset trailer

BM59_Fan

Here are some pics of the trailer I bought. I was looking under the trailer and I found an stamped tab wired to the frame and hidden in a nook and cranny with an ID number of GC4011 on it. From the condition of the metal tab it is undoubtedly original, so I now know the Trailer ID number to stamp on the new ID plate I bought. On the rear of the trailer frame is the unit ident of FRC4/3 ACAV and HQ40ES? The unit is the 4th Squadron 3rd ACAV and I have yet been unable to decode HQ40ES except it is a HQ unit. The unit does not have a separate convoy light on the rear and it once had the cover for the cable connector on the left draw bar arm. The year of mfg is late 50's to early 60's and I have no clue as to what company made it. MOST likely what I have is a straight M116 OR maybe on the outside a very early M116A1 BUT identifying it as an M116 is safe. The tire/rim config help to identify its age as well as its unit ID which is pre-Vietnam.

100_0965.jpg100_0969.jpg100_0971.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks