• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1165

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am the proud owner of a non running M1165. Truck is in really good condition and it has 83 miles since reset by Melton. The engine, transmission and transfer case were replaced in 2014 according to the tags. I had a lot of good help here trying to bring it to life but after going from back to front I/we found out that I need a new injection pump. RWH had it diagnosed in 3 minutes. I have a new injection pump on order and it is back ordered until the 20th of this month. Today I started taking stuff apart and cleaning, tagging and bagging. The intake looked like new inside and I found a t-bolt clamp that Melton had the T sideways and barely holding on. I cleaned the paint off of the upper intake and I will clean the lowers when I get that far. I really want to take the turbo off and clean and paint the valley really good. I don’t think I have the drain and I don’t understand why Melton would cap it off. I can get a better look at it when I get it apart.3EB41719-A40B-49AC-AEFF-F075D933916B.jpeg0F83669C-55A4-4BAC-A8E8-3E8227A6A64B.jpeg5C459CCB-05E1-417C-9356-FBAD8CD33431.jpeg13821D46-EB6A-445F-B9A6-BF62F792394F.jpeg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am the proud owner of a non running M1165. Truck is in really good condition and it has 83 miles since reset by Melton. The engine, transmission and transfer case were replaced in 2014 according to the tags. I had a lot of good help here trying to bring it to life but after going from back to front I/we found out that I need a new injection pump. RWH had it diagnosed in 3 minutes. I have a new injection pump on order and it is back ordered until the 20th of this month. Today I started taking stuff apart and cleaning, tagging and bagging. The intake looked like new inside and I found a t-bolt clamp that Melton had the T sideways and barely holding on. I cleaned the paint off of the upper intake and I will clean the lowers when I get that far. I really want to take the turbo off and clean and paint the valley really good. I don’t think I have the drain and I don’t understand why Melton would cap it off. I can get a better look at it when I get it apart.View attachment 873432View attachment 873433View attachment 873434View attachment 873435
When the military says STOP the project, it means stop right where you are. Vendors won't get paid to fix anything that was work in process. Basically button it up, spare parts in the drivers seat and move on to the next project.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My OCD can’t hardly stand to look at the valley. I think I can get 1/2 of it cleaned up before I take the intakes off. I don’t want anything to get into the head or oil passages.
I was thinking about changing my wheel while I have the turbo apart. I found a wheel that claims it makes the turbo more efficient and a little more boost while lowering egts. I don’t know how it can do all that for 159.00

DieselSite Wicked Wheel 2 Billet Turbo Compressor Wheel WW65 Compatible with 1992-2000 Chevy/GMC 6.5 Diesel
https://a.co/d/dFVF9xu
6B59B7F9-DDE4-445E-BA8C-B95B30C5952E.jpeg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am running a wicked wheel, never ran a stock wheel but comparing numbers with others I do not think it is worth the money.
Hopefully you can get the drain unplugged, of course just running it on a regular basis should help a bunch!!

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am running a wicked wheel, never ran a stock wheel but comparing numbers with others I do not think it is worth the money.
Hopefully you can get the drain unplugged, of course just running it on a regular basis should help a bunch!!
I think Melton put freeze plugs in it. I couldn’t get into it from below. Once I get everything out of the valley I might get a better view. You get the whistle from the wicked wheel? I heard it improves throttle response.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think Melton put freeze plugs in it. I couldn’t get into it from below. Once I get everything out of the valley I might get a better view. You get the whistle from the wicked wheel? I heard it improves throttle response.
No whistle except when cold and idling.
I have nothing to compare it with but it certainly is nothing impressive, I think most guys that invest and install an improvement like this will claim it does all kinds of wonderful stuff because that is just how we are wired, and of course the guy putting your cash in his pocket is going to promise the moon.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No whistle except when cold and idling.
I have nothing to compare it with but it certainly is nothing impressive, I think most guys that invest and install an improvement like this will claim it does all kinds of wonderful stuff because that is just how we are wired, and of course the guy putting your cash in his pocket is going to promise the moon.
You installed a boost gauge? I want to but I don’t like drilling holes and mounting stuff where it doesn’t belong. I seen a boost bolt and I would have to drill thru my lower intake where the crossover mounts

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My OCD can’t hardly stand to look at the valley. I think I can get 1/2 of it cleaned up before I take the intakes off. I don’t want anything to get into the head or oil passages.
I was thinking about changing my wheel while I have the turbo apart. I found a wheel that claims it makes the turbo more efficient and a little more boost while lowering egts. I don’t know how it can do all that for 159.00

DieselSite Wicked Wheel 2 Billet Turbo Compressor Wheel WW65 Compatible with 1992-2000 Chevy/GMC 6.5 Diesel
https://a.co/d/dFVF9xu
View attachment 873470
Wire brush, rust converter, red rustoleum. Worked for me.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wanted to paint the exhaust side of the turbo housing with VHT Flame Proof in cast iron finish but the whole world is out of it. I ended up with flat black and it will be fine. I will separate the turbo tomorrow and get it cleaned up and painted. That VHT says is good up to 2000 degrees and it has a heat cycle for the oven or on the vehicle and I haven’t made up my mind which one I will do. Probably a big waste of time cleaning and painting everything. I did order a new oil line assembly that goes from the valley to the sending unit. Melton put a kink in mine and I don’t want to have to replace it later on. I found it for 26.75 at Kascar and that was like 40.00 cheaper than anywhere else. I also got the 0- rings for the pedestal. 86217EC6-FF47-4C84-B2BB-86BCA9FD5F12.jpeg

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finished cleaning up my turbo parts and painted the exhaust side. I oven cured them as the instructions said. I had a hard time getting the exhaust side off. There is a bolt in the center of the pedestal and I thought you could loosen up all the bolts and spin the housing enough to remove the bolt. I ended up use bolt to push housing off. It looks like it had copper rtv between the outlet and the pedestal. I couldn’t find turbo assembly or disassembly in the tm but I’m still looking. I want to get the assembly put back together before I move on. Oh it looks like they had some kind Of sealer or locktite on the 5 screws going into the aluminum snail section. B0F3647C-1A03-4A6C-9C39-65368DF9964F.jpegFDA6B166-0A56-4758-B12E-D022DA179EE7.jpegE99C7F9D-A97B-4AB2-81B2-FD859A396D1B.jpeg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea that one bolt is a PITA, I use never seize on everything associated with the turbo.
You will probably not find a torque value for the pedestal bolts that hold the turbo to the block, I asked a couple times and got no response and searched the web several times (did not find that ether in the TMs), SO I went and looked at the 7.3L ford which has almost the exact same setup, the torque was MUCH lower than you would think and I found several stories of leaking pedestals due to over torquing.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have looked thru several TM’s and I can not find the triangle gasket that goes between the elbow and the housing. I have several hours in looking and I got nothing. I did find a diagram on Lynch Hummer for a 2000 h1 but it had a part number S.I.A. Whatever that means.

I finally found it!!!7FB20DF8-AC0B-40B3-A3EA-FC41ADC925B2.png
FFFB3807-7FF3-43DD-A235-EA09C8E06472.png

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are talking about the turbo intake there is no gasket only sealer

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks