• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116A1E1 located

FrankenCub

I've been causally looking for a trailer for my M1008 and one showed up for an upcoming auction, sorry guys....not giving details lol.
I have looked in the TM and what I see there is A2E1, so am I correct in assuming the data plate wasn't updated? This does have surge brakes, but also has a cargo body. So I was a bit confused when I expected to see M101 on the plate.
Anyone care to confuse me more :D ?

20170425_171458.jpg
20170425_171246.jpg
20170425_171325.jpg

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I don't know all the variables and options, but the one in the pics is an m101a2.

I would have thought the A1 would have had 5 bolt m37 style rims and no surge brake assembly if I hadn't seen the pics. Maybe it was the only data tag around to put on, or it was upgraded and no new data plate available.

FrankenCub

If I remember I'll try to get pictures of the plate on the cargo body tomorrow, I don't remember what it said but the frame plate saying M116 confused me. Any chance this is something someone threw together with spare parts just to make a buck? I'd like to bid on it Saturday, but I don't want to bid on something that is a piece meal. A friend of mine has an A1 for sale but he's asking more than I'm willing to go and it has the 5 lug Deuce wheels. This one here is more appropriate for my truck.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
If I remember I'll try to get pictures of the plate on the cargo body tomorrow, I don't remember what it said but the frame plate saying M116 confused me. Any chance this is something someone threw together with spare parts just to make a buck? I'd like to bid on it Saturday, but I don't want to bid on something that is a piece meal. A friend of mine has an A1 for sale but he's asking more than I'm willing to go and it has the 5 lug Deuce wheels. This one here is more appropriate for my truck.
I wouldn't worry about if it is "thrown together" myself. Many are. Everything important looks to be right for an m101a2 trailer. If the paperwork is in order than go for it.
Also, just for reference the 5 lug wheels are for m37s, deuces have 6 lugs.

FrankenCub

I wouldn't worry about if it is "thrown together" myself. Many are. Everything important looks to be right for an m101a2 trailer. If the paperwork is in order than go for it.
Also, just for reference the 5 lug wheels are for m37s, deuces have 6 lugs.
I get 35-37 bass ackwards for some reason lol, I should know better, I looked at a few of them before buying my M1008. If it's a M101a2, is there a reason it would have the frame plate from a M116, unless someone swapped them?
I don't remember for sure but I think if buying a trailer from an auction here the DMV doesn't give a hassle about registering them, as long as you have the sales receipt. Otherwise that may create an issue. Half the people around here don't have paperwork for anything but cars/trucks, even then it's a gamble until they show it to you.
I don't know what these things are worth so I'm hoping it's gonna pour Saturday to cut down the number of bidders lol.

86m1028

1st rule is there is no rules
The m116 is the chassis, m101 is the bed.
Parts is parts, military could care less what the tags say.
The data tags are of no importance.
Ive had over 50 of these & I bet maybe 2 of them were tagged correctly.
Look at condition of it & bid away.

FrankenCub

I feel a bit better ten knowing the tags don't necessarily mean anything. It doesn't appear to be missing anything and no serious salt cancer. Needs to have probably 8 layers of CARC blasted off and repainted but that doesn't concern me.
That auction can get weird, some years really good stuff has trouble selling, others, junk brings really high prices.
I better call the DMV too just to double check about registering it if there's no official State paperwork.

FrankenCub

Since the m116 data plate has been hand stamped, it is a good bet that it was thrown on somewhere down the road.

The a1e1 have additional springs for extra weight capacity at least that is how my m116a2e1 is and I have an extra data plate for the modification/weight increase.

http://olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_m116_trailer.php
Thanks. I thought I seen something about a higher weight rating with the E1. Which would be good for me if all goes well, I'll use it mostly for hauling my firewood home. Between the truck and a trailer it means less trips back and forth.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know what mine was used for but it had a small fortune in nuts and bolts scattered in the bed with several dozen holes. No worries for water pooling in mine :) I did not even realize it had the extra springs when I bid on it. It drives solid and not harsh when empty. I have overloaded the trailer and hauled it for 4 hours. Handled like a dream even with the weight. A very cool trailer and my favorite to use. You can count the number of leaves in the springs to see if it is a true e1 or just a data plate they had on hand.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bid away.
It will be a great trailer regardless.

Both my M102A2s dataplates are hand stamped.
Frame and Box.

It's one of the best trailers ever.
I use mine several times a week.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well said

FrankenCub

Figurd I may as well update this. I decided not to pursue this trailer any further this morning when I found it has no paperwork. NY is terrible when trying to register a trailer without proper state issued paperwork, and they're just getting worse every year. I know a bunch of guys that have registered their trailers in VT to get around NY but the state is catching on to that now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks