• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116A3 Adjustable Lunette Install

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Didn't know there was such a thing? Neither did I! :shock:

The M116A3 based HSTRU trailer always towed nose low, and that bothered me. I was looking for a way to adjust the lunette when I found the piece in pic 1 in the junkyard.
I figured I could use part of it to fab up something adjustable, bought it for $4 (they sell by weight).

When I got home, I carried it over to the HSTRU and noticed that the big hinge bolt holes matched up exactly. Hmmm...
Went inside and looked at the exploded parts diagram in the manual, and the rear half of what I had matched up!

Yesterday I took the original lunette off and installed the adjustable one. All went easily (shocking as that may seem for an MV mod) and it was back together quickly. Everything works as it should.
The new lunette is now 4" lower than the original, and the HSTRU sits level on the back of the M1009 (I know, but it's light. The box is aluminium and empty, no tools).

There is no part number anywhere on the adjustable bit. The blue tag on it was blank. My manuals don't show the part, maybe later ones do? Or it was for a specific application and it's in that manual?
But now that we know the part exists, y'all can look out for one and know what it is.

Cheers

PS- the brake lockout pin is for pushing trailers around backwards with my tractor, surge brakes don't like backing up on uneven ground! And no, there are no tail-light lenses on the M1009, I'm installing new ones today. ;)

Attachments

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
The later DRASH trailers that still used the similar style brake setup as the m101a2s and a3s had those adjustable hitches. I've got one set aside in case I ever need the adjustability. It's also a good way to change over to a ball hitch since the channel is the standard size.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks