• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116A3 Hub size? or how do I fit Jeep Wheels?

ECS

I'm thinking of getting some wheel adapters for my M116A3 trailer so I can fit Jeep Wheels.

Has anyone done this, or is it just a bad idea?

the lug pattern is 8 x 6.5 like a C20 chevy.. but what is the HUB size and how far does it stick out?

Is it 8 x 6.5 x 165.1mm ? and then how far does it stick out?

I am looking to fit some 5 x 5 jeep wheels on the trailer and am thinking to getting some hub centric wheel adapters built and they want the hub size and how deep it is (sticks out).

OR .. is there and easy way to get jeep wheels to fit?

Last edited:

Jeepadict

Lots of folks ditch the OE axle to save weight and gain electric brakes...personally I think it's a bad idea, but it's just me.

If I was in your shoes I'd call eTrailer or Croft after you remove one axle hub (this will allow you to confirm the Timken numbers which verifies the spindle/shaft size)...tell them you have a small military utility trailer with a Dexter drum brake axle...then see if they have a 5-lug hub and drum that you can swap in for the 8-lug parts. Should be a slick-n-easy swap since Dexter makes boat trailer axles and lots of them are 5-lug.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

harleyhouse

adapters are needed if you are going to use the original hubs. aluminum factory jeep wheels have a small hub hole and will need wider adapters to fit. if you go with a new axle idler or electric breaks you may still need a spacer for the hub to clear. Expedition Portal trailers section has meny EXPO builds and axle swaps.

ECS

Thanks ! I'll give Dexter a call and see what they have that can be matched up.

Thanks for those measurements !! .. Most likely I'll get some adapters built with that 2.91"+ offset. The trailer is not going to be carting anything heavy. MEP802 at most.

Little Gus

Thanks ! I'll give Dexter a call and see what they have that can be matched up.

Thanks for those measurements !! .. Most likely I'll get some adapters built with that 2.91"+ offset. The trailer is not going to be carting anything heavy. MEP802 at most.
I am curious were you able to find a 5 x 5 hub replacement for the M116 trailer?

ECS

That is just a link for wheel spacers and adapters. There is no adapter that goes from an 8x6.5 to a 5x5” bolt pattern. The spacing going from 8 lug won’t allow to go to 5 lug. So did you actually find a 5x5 hub replacement for the 8x6.5?

correct - you would need to call them and have them make you a set.

Example these are for my lug toyota, but they do any wheel pattern.

Attachments

Guruman

Not so new member
Digging up this old thread as I'm looking to have some adapters made to match the trailer wheels to my Jeep, mainly to eliminate carrying a 8 on 6.5 redundant spare.

Trying to fill in the info for the quote form....

• Vehicle's Make, Year, and Model : M116A3 Military Trailer

• Vehicle's Bolt Pattern : 8 on 6.5

• Vehicle's Center Bore : 4.55"

• New Wheel Bolt Pattern : 5 on 5

• New Rim's Make, Year, and Model : ( If its an aftermarket, input aftermarket ) 2021 Jeep Wrangler

• How many adapters ? 2

• Thickness of Adapters : 2.0"
  • Lug Nuts : ( for vehicle ) 9/16"
  • Studs : ( for new rim, if you want to use stock lug nuts from vehicle, input the same as lug nuts ) 14X1.5
  • Hub Centric : ???????
  • HC ONLY - Vehicle's Center Bore :????????

• HC ONLY - New Rim Center Bore : ?????
    (I'll ask on my Jeep forum)
So... the main question is does this look correct? and are the m116a3 hub/wheel hub centric? If so is the 4.55" center bore quoted above correct ( I noticed it says "nearly")?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, the stock trailer wheels are NOT hub centric.

My Q: Why would you want 2.0"-thick adapters? Can't they make them in 1", or even less?

Guruman

Not so new member
No, the stock trailer wheels are NOT hub centric.

My Q: Why would you want 2.0"-thick adapters? Can't they make them in 1", or even less?
The Jeep wheels will have a small diameter hole in the center. A 2 inch spacer will allow me to get the wheels mounted without hitting the center of the trailer hub, although, I will have to replace the domed cap with a flat one.

Edit: Also, thanks.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Understood. Problem I see is you will end with a very wide track width, that way...

The stock axle measures 74" btw wheel mounting surfaces. Plus the spacers makes it 78". But the overall width (over fenders) is only about 83.5".
Assuming your Jeep wheels have a 5" backspace, the tires will stick out 2 inches, at least.

Guruman

Not so new member
Understood. Problem I see is you will end with a very wide track width, that way...

The stock axle measures 74" btw wheel mounting surfaces. Plus the spacers makes it 78". But the overall width (over fenders) is only about 83.5".
Assuming your Jeep wheels have a 5" backspace, the tires will stick out 2 inches, at least.
I actually plan to move the fenders out some to accommodate putting the box (something like a s250?) between them.

It will track wider than the Jeep... which might be an issue, but replacing the axle, converting for electric brakes and losing the handbrake and tilt feature seems like a big downside..

ECS

Digging up this old thread as I'm looking to have some adapters made to match the trailer wheels to my Jeep, mainly to eliminate carrying a 8 on 6.5 redundant spare.

Trying to fill in the info for the quote form....

• Vehicle's Make, Year, and Model : M116A3 Military Trailer

• Vehicle's Bolt Pattern : 8 on 6.5

• Vehicle's Center Bore : 4.55"

• New Wheel Bolt Pattern : 5 on 5

• New Rim's Make, Year, and Model : ( If its an aftermarket, input aftermarket ) 2021 Jeep Wrangler

• How many adapters ? 2

• Thickness of Adapters : 2.0"
  • Lug Nuts : ( for vehicle ) 9/16"
  • Studs : ( for new rim, if you want to use stock lug nuts from vehicle, input the same as lug nuts ) 14X1.5
  • Hub Centric : ???????
  • HC ONLY - Vehicle's Center Bore :????????

• HC ONLY - New Rim Center Bore : ?????
    (I'll ask on my Jeep forum)
So... the main question is does this look correct? and are the m116a3 hub/wheel hub centric? If so is the 4.55" center bore quoted above correct ( I noticed it says "nearly")?

No that doesn't sound right.

Method 1: Adapting from trailer OEM to Jeep or other wheel pattern. (cheepest)
I think mine are 3" thick and the vehicle center bore was approx 3" bore, and they are a 2 piece adapter.
The adapter is as thick as those trailer studs are long, plus cover the protruding large bearing cap.
I measured the vehicle center bore, and then for thickness from stub base to the outer edge of the bearing cap.
This adapter would not be for converting to electric brakes. it would be for just changing the bolt pattern from the trailer oem to the jeep wheels ONLY.

Method 2: Replacing the whole hub.
First are you converting to electric brakes then you may not even need an adapter. You replace the whole hub.
This means replace the brake drum, that plate behind it and the bearings etc. Everything but the axel.
Doing this you then need a different cable length to maintain the parking brake.

Last edited:

Guruman

Not so new member
No that doesn't sound right.

Method 1: Adapting from trailer OEM to Jeep or other wheel pattern. (cheepest)
I think mine are 3" thick and the vehicle center bore was approx 3" bore, and they are a 2 piece adapter.
The adapter is as thick as those trailer studs are long, plus cover the protruding large bearing cap.
I measured the vehicle center bore, and then for thickness from stub base to the outer edge of the bearing cap.
This adapter would not be for converting to electric brakes. it would be for just changing the bolt pattern from the trailer oem to the jeep wheels ONLY.

Method 2: Replacing the whole hub.
First are you converting to electric brakes then you may not even need an adapter. You replace the whole hub.
This means replace the brake drum, that plate behind it and the bearings etc. Everything but the axel.
Doing this you then need a different cable length to maintain the parking brake.
Method 1 is what I'm after... I was trying to do the same thing, except I'd replace the domed cap with something that sticks out less so I can minimise the size of the adapters.

Method 2 might be an option, but I have not been able to find hubs that fit that have the 5 on 5 pattern I need to match the Jeep..

ECS

Method 1 is what I'm after... I was trying to do the same thing, except I'd replace the domed cap with something that sticks out less so I can minimise the size of the adapters.

Method 2 might be an option, but I have not been able to find hubs that fit that have the 5 on 5 pattern I need to match the Jeep..
Found it:

two piece adapters - 3.25" thick - FROM 8x6.5 hub bore 116.1mm with lug nuts treaded 9/16-18 Standard -- TO --> and "this is where you put Your Jeep bolt pattern and thread size"; so pattern is 5x5 and your stud and thread size you need for your wheels. Depending on your jeep wheels you can put your lip bore but it's not necessary.

Ask for the vehicle lug nuts as the bore hole on the adapter may be different than expected. You will NOT need the adapted lug nuts as you already have these or will get ones that match.
Example: My Land Cruiser was bolt pattern 5x150 wheel lip bore 110mm adapter 3.25" thick with 14x1.5 studs

It sounds like a thick adapter but it is needed as the bearing cap sticks out so far.
Hope that helps.

Guruman

Not so new member
Found it:

two piece adapters - 3.25" thick - FROM 8x6.5 hub bore 116.1mm with lug nuts treaded 9/16-18 Standard -- TO --> and "this is where you put Your Jeep bolt pattern and thread size"; so pattern is 5x5 and your stud and thread size you need for your wheels. Depending on your jeep wheels you can put your lip bore but it's not necessary.

Ask for the vehicle lug nuts as the bore hole on the adapter may be different than expected. You will NOT need the adapted lug nuts as you already have these or will get ones that match.
Example: My Land Cruiser was bolt pattern 5x150 wheel lip bore 110mm adapter 3.25" thick with 14x1.5 studs

It sounds like a thick adapter but it is needed as the bearing cap sticks out so far.
Hope that helps.
This was from https://usadapters.com/ correct? I don't suppose you have an order or quote number or something? I'd love to call them up and just order a known working configuration.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks