• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116A3 - VA Title & Registration, Insurance question

unleashd

Hello all,
I bought a M116A3 from a friend in MD earlier this year. I live in Herndon, VA. After some initial research, I was unable to find credible information on how to get the trailer registered in VA. So, I got it registered in ME for $125 total out the door. Everything was done my email. I just sent a picture of the data plate that had the VIN, and a copy of the BOS that my friend gave to me. Plates came in the mail within 10 days.

Now, I'd like to get it registered and titled in VA as I keep reading more about being stopped by LEOs for probable violations. Any pointers on how to get this done?

Also, what should I expect to pay for insurance on the trailer? This is my first trailer and I'd appreciate some pointers on how to go about this.

Picture for attention.

pmramsey

Make an appointment with your local VADMV office. You must fill out the Application For Assigned Vehicle Identification Number. You pay $5.00 on the spot there where the application form will be issued to you along with a VIN number on a metal plate. The plate will have specific mounting instructions on the unit along with the proper screws and drilling instructions. Once completed and all adjustments to the trailer have been completed, i.e., wiring, lights and voltages, purpose (generator, cargo bed, etc.), paint... Drag the trailer to the local State Police District Office for examination of the unit by an officer. Your application will be signed there by the officer.

Return to the DMV office with the signed and completed application, you will pay a $145.00 fee, a $125.00 fee for the officer's examination, and a $15.00 fee for the title.

You are converting the trailer from its military purpose to your new civilian purpose.

Trailers of this type are operated on the road as an extension of the towing vehicle. Therefore, no additional insurance for the trailer is required other than the towing vehicle insurance.

unleashd

Make an appointment with your local VADMV office. You must fill out the Application For Assigned Vehicle Identification Number. You pay $5.00 on the spot there where the application form will be issued to you along with a VIN number on a metal plate. The plate will have specific mounting instructions on the unit along with the proper screws and drilling instructions. Once completed and all adjustments to the trailer have been completed, i.e., wiring, lights and voltages, purpose (generator, cargo bed, etc.), paint... Drag the trailer to the local State Police District Office for examination of the unit by an officer. Your application will be signed there by the officer.

Return to the DMV office with the signed and completed application, you will pay a $145.00 fee, a $125.00 fee for the officer's examination, and a $15.00 fee for the title.

You are converting the trailer from its military purpose to your new civilian purpose.

Trailers of this type are operated on the road as an extension of the towing vehicle. Therefore, no additional insurance for the trailer is required other than the towing vehicle insurance.
Awesome info. Thanks for the pointers!!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If registered in Maine. VA should accept the registration and transfer. Probably will need to pay sales tax again.
If you have a valid unexpired maine plate, what is the problem?
Intermodal and nationwide trucking fleets use maine nationwide .
I am in La and never had an issue here or any state I traveled in including Va

Check state laws but in most states, the tow vehichle covers the trailer.

Last edited:

unleashd

If registered in Maine. VA should accept the registration and transfer. Probably will need to pay sales tax again.
If you have a valid unexpired maine plate, what is the problem?
Intermodal and nationwide trucking fleets use maine nationwide .
I am in La and never had an issue here or any state I traveled in including Va

Check state laws but in most states, the tow vehichle covers the trailer.
I haven't approached the VA DMV to inquire about a transfer.

My ME plates are current and good for 5 more years. I am a VA resident and have been hearing about VA/MD LEO stopping private vehicles with a mix of VA & ME plates to collect some remuneration for the state coffers. Hence this query.

Scrounger

Don’t take this the wrong way. I think you are over thinking the issue. If the vehicle, in this case has a current Me. tag you are good to go. I have yet to see any officer pull over a private vehicle and give them any paying paper for having different state registrations between the towing vehicle and the towed vehicle. Why waste money if you don’t have to. Just an FYI. I have several trailers tagged with Me. tags and retired as a truck driver with more than a little seat time.

unleashd

Don’t take this the wrong way. I think you are over thinking the issue. If the vehicle, in this case has a current Me. tag you are good to go. I have yet to see any officer pull over a private vehicle and give them any paying paper for having different state registrations between the towing vehicle and the towed vehicle. Why waste money if you don’t have to. Just an FYI. I have several trailers tagged with Me. tags and retired as a truck driver with more than a little seat time.
Not offended at all. This is my first ever trailer and I don’t mind being educated on the nuances. Maybe I’m over thinking it. Thank you.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not familiar with Md and Va but others here on the ss, others have stated that PA and NY dot does like to hassle their own state residents with Me Plates but at the end of the day it is just a $ they want. Shame that State police do not have better things to worry about....

CommoChief

Scrounger....PM sent

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
U-Haul trailers have plates from all over, being pulled by 'local' vehicles and they don't get stopped. That could be a violation of the Interstate Commerce Clause on the Federal level. The Fed's can be a bull in a china shop when 'their' rules are violated by state minions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks