• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M146 trailer recovery and restore/RV conversion

tommys2patrick

Newbie here to steel soldiers. I have a M275 tractor and just acquired a M 146 trailer. It is being brought in on a removable goose neck trailer. I discovered that my air over oil brake booster needs rebuilt I think. I rebuilt the main brake booster and was able to get the tractor brakes working by opening the valve from the air tanks. No main air to send around the truck but at least the tractor hydro brakes work. I need a tractor to unload the M146 off the RGN. I was going to use my M275 until i found out about my air problem.

After all that here is my question.

Can i off load my M146 without an air hook up or electric?

I want to think I will need some air to unlock the brakes. I was thinking that if i used a simple air tank and ran a glad hand line to the service brake glad hand on the trailer i would be able to pull the trailer off the RGN. I don't want to run on the road like that I just want to get it off the shippers trailer and park it in my lot.

1) will that work do you think?
2) if it might work what sort of pressure do you think I should have in the static tank to release the brakes?
3) can i leave the gladhand off the emergency brake on the trailer or will I need to plug it to prevent pressure loss?

Thanks for listening to my rambling questions. if anyone wants to throw in two cents that would be great.

Pat in Denver ps--pictures coming as soon as I can figure out how to post.

tommys2patrick

I have been reading few other threads about the M146 and they seem to say that the trailer has no parking brake and will with a fifth wheel under it and no air connection.

Can anyone confirm this is the case please?

tommys2patrick

Kind of feel like I am talking to myself--HaHaHa--Anywho--I was able to locate an M146 Manual from Liberated Manuals website. I also talked to the driver of my loaded trailer and they confirmed you can roll the trailer without air lines hooked up at the gladhands. After reading a few threads on SS regarding brake systems for the M146 trailer it seems there is some conflicting information. It may have to do with different construction years, builders and various depot upgrades since it first came into service. I guess the bottom line is to get to know your particular vehicle and its operating characteristics.

I like this forum and hope to continue being an active participant. As soon as my trailer arrives I can post some pic's of it and my M 275 tractor. Then the fun part begins.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You can move the 146 without air, no problems to get it off the goose neck. Do not go hauling it down the highway without air, could result in very bad PR for this hobby.

Since you do not have air you will need to chock the rear of the trailer wheels really well so when you back the 275 it will hold to get the king pin locked, otherwise bad things will happen, like pushing it off the trailer. The 146 is an old school trailer so no caged brakes or parking brakes, parking brakes are a set of chocks in front and behind the trailer wheels. Also try to lube your air pack that may free it up. Hope this helps some.m146 009.jpg don't forget the pic's, me picking up my first one.1462 004.jpgtwo days later with the second.

Last edited:

tommys2patrick

Thank you phil2968 and MWMULES. I have been following Razer and the M 146 RV project. Very impressive. Also read a couple of the other conversion threads on SS. very inspiring. I kind of thought a number of folks were wrapped up with other things. No worries. Now that i am retired I have a lot of time available to do things like this. I wanted to keep otheres that may have been following my thread up to speed as I got into this question further.

My experience with some of the TM's is that it sometimes raises more questions or a better picture of the item in question is worth its weight so to speak. Land vehicles were not my experience when i was in the Army. I was a Chinook mechanic (helicopter) 71 to 73. I always liked the M275's though.

I really appreciate you both taking the time to reply in my thread. Have a great one!

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have M146, the brakes are air over hydraulic. They are not true air brakes and are not locked when the air supply is disconnected. The trailer can be towed with out connecting the air lines, though not recommended.

tommys2patrick

Thanks Scar59. I am also a bit concerned about my 5th wheel and if its working properly. I have no way to test it until the M146 trailer arrives today. if i can't get a positive lock when i back in, I will call a wrecker to off load to my storage lot.

I definitely don't want to on-road my rig or the trailer until everything is working properly. Nothing I am doing is worth putting anyone else in jeopardy just so I can have some fun with an MV. I am in no rush so i will take my time. I know it seems as though I am a loose cannon here. I don't want anything bad to reflect back on the hobby or SS.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing wrong with asking the question, the "loose cannon" is the guy who doesn't ask the question, doesn't read the TM and just hooks up and goes. These MVs are pretty simple in operation, just have to understand the operation. Have fun and be cautious.
JC

RAYZER

Nice looking rig! I missed this thread when you started it, I would have certainly commented.
Hows your progress on the conversion coming along?
I look foward to seeing your progress!

tommys2patrick

Thanks Razer and Old Lincoln County Iron. been slow progress while I sort thru some long overdue service on the M275 and the M146. I would like to have both road worthy. Would anyone know what the thread pitch is for the Lifting Eye pulling tool is on the trailer. Mine was missing. Or perhaps even a picture of one?

stb64

Quote:
''They are not true air brakes and are not locked when the air supply is disconnected.''

Actually, when everything works correctly, the trailer brakes should lock when the emergency line is disconnected, but will stay locked only until the air pressure slowly bleeds off.

RAYZER

Happened to me, airline from the compressor broke and I lost pressure, the trailer brakes locked, I had to drag the trailer off the road.uploadfromtaptalk1399205076087.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks