• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M151A2 Purchase

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just purchased an M151A2 with M416 trailer, but won't pick it up until sometime next week. I'll add photos once I pick it up. This is a virtually complete 1/4 ton with top, doors, ROPS, etc. It has been in inside storage for decades. The engine runs fine. However, it needs new batteries. I know that M151s take two 2HN batteries. I'm considering Optima Yellow-Top batteries, model D51R, which according to Optima is a direct replacement for 2HN, and I want AGM batteries. The dimensions of the D51R are Length 9.31, Width 5.06, and Height 8.95, so it should fit fine. Has anyone used Optima D51R Yellow Top batteries in an M151A2? Any suggestions for alternative batteries?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I just purchased an M151A2 with M416 trailer, but won't pick it up until sometime next week. I'll add photos once I pick it up. This is a virtually complete 1/4 ton with top, doors, ROPS, etc. It has been in inside storage for decades. The engine runs fine. However, it needs new batteries. I know that M151s take two 2HN batteries. I'm considering Optima Yellow-Top batteries, model D51R, which according to Optima is a direct replacement for 2HN, and I want AGM batteries. The dimensions of the D51R are Length 9.31, Width 5.06, and Height 8.95, so it should fit fine. Has anyone used Optima D51R Yellow Top batteries in an M151A2? Any suggestions for alternative batteries?
Congratulations Gary!
Can't wait to see your pictures of the new-to-you truck!

(sorry, I have no idea about betteries in that vehicle)

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations on the truck. I used to use batteries from Walmart on the two M151A2s I owned. They fit fine. They were a tad small, but the battery hold down bracket still works and the batteries stay in place. Why pay more for expensive batteries when a $90 or so battery will work just fine. That is a tiny engine to turn over. Mine started even in the coldest weather...for years. I forget the model number for the battery (I sold the truck to a fellow SteelSoldier's dad). You could just search the Walmart website by CCA and physical size.

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
I have 51R's in mine. They were in the truck when I purchased it. The original battery hold down is larger. It can be modified to work but you can also buy holds down designed for the 51R for use in a 151 series truck. Here's a picture of mine. These are stainless steel but the "public" version is carbon steel. There is a radius cut out around the terminals (can't see because of rubber pads) for extra clearance. These are a very high quality part, spot welded and fit very nicely.

150157.jpeg

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
Here are a few more pictures. First one is in another 151 with the Optima battery. We did remove the "51R" laser cut out as some people were complaining about it. I thought it looked cool but apparently not! There are rubber insulators that come with the hold downs as an extra precaution. They are viewed in the first picture.

98640.jpeg93782.jpeg

Powder coated version:

138462.jpeg

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally got the M151A2 home from Pennsylvania, a 13 hour drive each way in my F250 pulling a U-haul car trailer. I put the M151A2 on the U-haul and put the M416 in the back of my F250. It turns out the M151A2 was a TOW vehicle. The data placard was a replacement that wasn't filled in with a S/N. However, the TOW placard has a S/N and a date of 08/79. I'm wondering if the S/N on the TOW placard is the same as the S/N of the vehicle. I need a S/N to register the truck. There is no title. I have a photo of the TOW placard attached along with photos of the truck.
Front.jpgRear.jpgTOW Placard.jpg

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There should be some unique things about the TOW MUTT. I recall there being many more holes drilled in the body for the launcher and other equipment. A good friend who many on this list knew, Joe Young (RIP), once restored an M825 back into an M151A2. Years later he regretted doing so because of how unique a TOW MUTT is, but he did not think he could track down all of the unique items. So, he correctly filled holes with metal and converted it to an M151A2. I have pictures some place of his restoration. Not sure if I can easily put my hands on them because that computer hard drive crashed and I was told all was lost. I think I have a back up somewhere, but I'd have to look. No promises I can find it (and the pictures were not of the highest quality...late 90s digital camera).

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are a few more pictures. First one is in another 151 with the Optima battery. We did remove the "51R" laser cut out as some people were complaining about it. I thought it looked cool but apparently not! There are rubber insulators that come with the hold downs as an extra precaution. They are viewed in the first picture.

View attachment 887444View attachment 887445

Powder coated version:

View attachment 887446
How much do you charge for a set? I like the 51-R by the way.

EDIT: Sorry, I just ordered a set from Fil Bonica.

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm trying to decide what camo / paint to use on the A2. It currently has MERDC paint on it with some non-MERDC touchups. I can't tell if it is Summer Verdant or Winter Verdant as the paint has faded. The A2 is a 1979 TOW model, so this was before the NATO 3-color camo came out in 1983 and it most certainly wasn't repainted in NATO 3-color or CARC. Under the hood, it is still 24087 from AM General. I have no idea when this A2 left government service.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I trashed the ROPS on the M151A2. Good riddance. My Milwaukee Sawzall did it in. Can you imagine being in an M151A2 with all the webbing surrounding you when someone opens fire and disables the vehicle and you try to exit the 1/4 ton quickly? I imagine everyone has seen the cartoon called the OSHA Cowboy. When in the A2 with the ROPS and webbing, I felt like the OSHA Cowboy.

ROPS Removed.jpgosha_cowboy.jpg

nattieleather

Looking at your pictures it looks like it was the summer camo colors. I've seen many in that pattern in the military but I can't recall seeing one at any shows like that. I'm partial to winter 4 color with the earth brown instead of the light green but that is what I grew up with in the military.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking at your pictures it looks like it was the summer camo colors. I've seen many in that pattern in the military but I can't recall seeing one at any shows like that. I'm partial to winter 4 color with the earth brown instead of the light green but that is what I grew up with in the military.
Thanks. I took another look at the Winter Verdant and I agree with you. I'm now going to paint it in the MERDC Winter Verdant. I've ordered the paint. However, I've got a lot of work to do before I do significant painting.
I started the A2 today for the first time once I re-mounted the fuel tank. All of the gauges work and the alternator is charging. I drove it a few miles down the road and the transmission, clutch and 4-wheel drive all work fine. I got lucky. The engine really runs and idles great with no smoke and excellent oil pressure. However, I assumed the MC had DOT 5 in it, but to make sure I put a straw down in it to obtain a sample to test. Although clear fluid was up where it should be, the straw came out covered in black sludge and looked like decomposed rubber. Time to pull the MC, which I understand is not a fun job. Too bad, because the brakes work fine.

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
If the brakes are working good as you stated, maybe try flushing out system first? Could be just dirty or someone mixed 3 and 5 at some point? If the rubber was that decomposed, I wouldn't think the brakes would work as stated? Just a thought...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks