• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M170 Project completed for now

parrottt

In March 2017 I came across on eBay a 1953 M170 (that’s what NC title says) and I purchased it in Raleigh, NC. One of the prior owners had ID'd as a Marine Corp Radio Jeep, not sure about that but its one now on my goat and llama farm in NC. It was in running condition when I got it, but went through it, brakes, transfer case, clutch, transmission, correct carb, lined the full tank, added a parking brake and a tune up. Parts were had to find. Installed M38a1 passenger seats on both side since the for the M170 are the holy grail. It was project in the works. Finally decided to paint it Marine Corps Forest Green 34052. 8 spray cans and a half gallon of paint brushed on the interior its done. Not a show piece but looks good 15 feet away.

I drive it most every day weather permitting.
20201008_162138.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good! USMC AN/MRC radio Jeep would have many many extra holes everywhere including a big hole in the dash for a radio related voltmeter or hourmeter.

parrottt

Looks good! USMC AN/MRC radio Jeep would have many many extra holes everywhere including a big hole in the dash for a radio related voltmeter or hourmeter.
Thanks........When I bought it the guy in Arizona had put 2 radio sets on it and there were many holes in the top of the fender wells. They were not the correct era military radio but did look good. I took them off because of the weather and the jeep is a working vehicle here on my farm. Trying to ffigure out a way to sell them, but they weigh a ton , just like the aircraft radio's and electronic equipment I worked in the Corps. Again thanks

1953-willys-m170-radio-jeep-4.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For sure your M170 was a USMC radio Jeep, see the two large holes in the dash to the right of the instrument cluster. The radios the previous owner installed are not the correct radios for the MRC setup anyway so no harm in removing them. Your radios are very much in demand by military vehicle collectors. The radio sets can be broken down into 3 UPSable packages, the radio, power supply, and base. Offer for sale here, ebay, G503 website.

parrottt

For sure your M170 was a USMC radio Jeep, see the two large holes in the dash to the right of the instrument cluster. The radios the previous owner installed are not the correct radios for the MRC setup anyway so no harm in removing them. Your radios are very much in demand by military vehicle collectors. The radio sets can be broken down into 3 UPSable packages, the radio, power supply, and base. Offer for sale here, ebay, G503 website.
Thanks........

parrottt

I ordered M38A1 passenger seats. I had to add a peg to the right side of the seat. Placed the drivers side seat on the original holes that were in the floor. I used blind metal inserts that expanded and held the bolts. I do not have the dome cover for the fuel pickup. I did find Hillman 59126 short jack nuts 1/4"-20 at ACE hardware, wish I had used them. On the passenger side I situated the seat frame so that it fit. I had to move that seat back because of the parking brake that we engineered in that position. The seat covers I found on Ebay " 2 Seats covers/foam Jeep Willys W/ Cargo Pockets CJ2A Cj3A CJ3B M38 and M38A1 ". The guy still has some. The back slip over the frame and I inserted a plywood pan to hold the seat cushion. Very durable material. I replaced the guts of the oil bath air filter. I ran across the post on the internet about replacing the guts with a NAPA Gold 2036 air filter and putting two “Fluidmaster Better Than Wax 5.5 inch Wax-Free” Commode floor gaskets (from Lowes) on the top and bottom of the canister. It fit and worked perfectly. I used a section of automobile ac/heat tubing to connect the carburetor to the filter. I wrote a story about my journey and it was posted on the Kaiser Willys site, Barn Yard Restoration parts 1 and 2. Hope this helps some.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks