• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-004A and M200A1 Step Jacks

Gypsyman

I'm looking at an MEP-004A generator and unfortunately the rear leveling legs on the M200A1 trailer are missing. What are the odds of finding these legs? My searches so far are turning up empty.

Richard

Guyfang

Staff member
If you were looking at an MEP-800 series, I would tell you you don't really need them. But 004A? Yes sir. They are a must. Proper name is Step Jack. Part # 8699545, NSN 2590-00-317-3137.

New part# 12512283. New NSN 2590-01-562-7577.

Gypsyman

Thank you Guy. I spent last night reading all of the old generator threads that you were involved in. Made for a long/late night. If I purchase the unit I have a feeling it will require a thread under the generator section and hopefully you will have the time to chime in.

Richard

Attachments

Gypsyman

Maybe a Mod could move this thread to the generator section? I started it here because it was strictly a trailer related question.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like Oshkosh used to have it. Maybe give them a call and see if they have any?

Many m200 stripped chassis sell usually cheap on GP. Might be worthwhile to get one for your parts, sell some of the other stuff and scrap the rest.

Guyfang

Staff member
After seeing the pictures, if this is the one you are going to get, looks good! And, the best part is the platform on the back!!!!! That why lots of folks took the step jacks off. As long as the platform is locked down. The gen set and trailer can not tip over backwards. The platform alone is worth its weight in gold, when you are working on the gen set control panel or cube. and Its safe, and its just the right height. It makes starting easier also. You are not standing on tip toes to get a look at the gauges. I had 13 M200 trailers, and spent months prowling the CAN Points and DRMO, collecting the platforms. Loved em.

Gypsyman

If I can swing a deal on the old girl I'll start the parts scavenging hunt. Hoping to find a donor trailer since we have a base on the other side of the state. If get my hands on it I'll start a thread. I'm oddly picky about things being original so hopefully I can run a cross a set of the step jacks.

Guyfang

Staff member
There are company's who buy up excess parts. The step jack was a very common repair part, as people forgot to put them up during march order, forgot to secure the safety pins during march order, or went four wheeling, while towing the trailer.

Speaking from personal experience, when the step jack catches something, anything, while moving, there is a tremendous crash/banging noise. Not possible to miss. The step jacks are always totaled. The bracket on the trailer easy to beat back in place. So look at the TM, and get all the pins, chains and safety clips.

Gypsyman

I'll know more when I can actually get to the unit. I have to wait for the crew to be back on shift again. It's being sold by a local fire department. They purchased it at auction. The unit ran fine but they could get it to make power so they parked it and haven't touched it since. Hopefully something simple.

Gypsyman

Was able to strike a deal and drag her home. The Chief at the fire station tore into the fuel system trying to get her to run. I'm guessing they didn't have a copy of the TM for proper starting procedure. Fortunately it looks like all of the parts are there. I'll have to reinstall the day tank but after looking inside I think they did me a favor. It needs a thorough cleaning.

The only casualty that I've found so far is the day tank rectifier (CR27). When they removed the day tank they snapped it off. I did find it and I may be able to salvage it with JB Weld. Spent about an hour looking for a new one with zero luck so far. If anyone knows of a cross reference or a supplier I would be grateful for the information.

The good: Unit appears to be in good condition. Shows that it was rebuilt at TEAD in Aug of '90 and the hour meter section of the tag is stamped 0004 hours. Oddly enough the hour meter shows 3.8 on it. I seriously doubt that it has sat for the last 30 years unused but it makes for a good story. Oils is clear and clean. Air filter is new. Tires are new ( I wore the last of the nubs off on the drive home). All of the gauges in the control panel appear to be brand new or damn close too it.

The bad: Small ding in one fender with a crack at one outside weld (easy fix). The broken CR27 as mentioned. The oil pan drain cock appears to be leaking and making a mess of the belly pan. And one missing step jack as mentioned at the beginning of the thread.

Overall pretty happy for no more than I paid. =)

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
When ever we broke the CR-27 off, we simply let it hang. If its just the screw broken off, (brass) then you might be able to get the screw to back out. Its a simple device. Just a couple diodes. You could make one. Buy one? Don't think so. Do test it. Procedure is in the TM, and its simple. Same with the day tank float. Is the float a one or two bobber float? And as long as you are in there, check the L2, (solenoid). The check is easy, and when you put it back together, turn on the Electrical fuel pumps and loosen the output line on the L2. If you do not get lots of fuel out, the L2 needs to be cleaned also.

Something to keep in mind. When looking for parts, also check the 30 KW, MEP-005A TM's. 95% of the parts are the same, and often have different NSN's and part numbers. ALSO, the 60 Kw and even the 100 KW, have the same common parts. So when you search the E-pay site, keep that in mind. Make it run first. Then make it nice.

The 15 and 30 KW schematics are world famous, for being wrong. It never hurts to look at both, when fooling with the electrical system. In theory, you can use the 30 KW schematics to work on the 15 KW. Wire numbers are the same. Often, if the schematic you are using is not very readable, you can simply use the other sets schematics.

jmenende

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm looking at an MEP-004A generator and unfortunately the rear leveling legs on the M200A1 trailer are missing. What are the odds of finding these legs? My searches so far are turning up empty.

Richard
Were you able to find any step jacks? im in the hunt for 2.

jmenende

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. I found that one but looking for a pair. I bought my trailer for 250$ on gp. They ask 200 on epay just for the leg. 🤣

jmenende

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny, but the first thing soldiers did to a M200A1 was remove the step jacks, and toss them.
Im actually going to buy an m200a1 on auction and give it away to anyone in this forum thats willing to take off both jacks and ship them to me in PR. Im searching for one to buy and will post the ad. I paid 250$ for the whole trailer i have but it cost me 2 grand to ship it over.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks