• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M211/M135 with 350 V8 and 4 speed manual transmission

USMC 00-08

Just the other day I heard about a G749 for sale that had been repowered with a 350 V8 that still has 6 wheel drive. I was naturally curious and went to look today. The frame on the truck says M211 but the data plate says 1952 M135.

I'll post up some pictures for those of us curious about the repower. Things were a little cramped everywhere so please excuse some lack of detail. I am going to try to find out more information on the truck in the next few days.

The bed is a dump bed and the truck appears to have a 4 speed manual transmission. Those are all the details I know right now.

100_2724.jpg100_2725.jpg100_2726.jpg100_2728.jpg100_2731.jpg100_2730.jpg100_2729.jpg

USMC 00-08

I apologize about the order of the pics. I had them in a certain order but when I posted them, they were not in the order I put them.

Last edited:

FrankUSMC

I saw a M211 that was repowered, and also had a manual transmission in it back in the early 1980s. I was very shocked, because at the time you could pick up very nice government released M211 trucks, why convert one?
One more thing, the cab was done cleaner than the one in your photos. The truck I looked at was owned by a military vehicle collector.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET.

SturmTyger380

What a gnarly looking clutch pedal set up. Another option I have heard of but not seen is taking a diesel engine and transmission from a panel bread delivery truck as the donor.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It was a common swap at one time to take a cckw trans and transfer and put it into a 211/135

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What motors would mate up to the CCKW transmission?

That truck is a nice find. Not sure if it's the same as walking into a hanger at area 51 and finding a flying flopper but I'd like to de-engineer that truck just to trace those wires.

That must be a ground bar that he ran everything....and that means everything....back to the firewall. The picture spread you laid out is perfect, thanks for doing that.

Before I lose the thread again I'll link it here for those looking at v-8's in the G749. This is the 502 BB M211. 502, crate, shiny,.....not 350, 502.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?2932-California-Hot-Rod-M211

USMC 00-08

the cab was done cleaner than the one in your photos. The truck I looked at was owned by a military vehicle collector.One of the few, Frank USMC RET.
This one looks messy but could probably be cleaned up with time. I wish you had pics of the one you saw.

What a gnarly looking clutch pedal set up.
Yes it is.

I had not seen that thread before Plowboy. That truck looks great.

I forgot to mention that the bed of this truck is a dump bed. I also heard the owner priced it at $4000 and it needs brake work, but I have not personally spoken to him yet. That is way to high in my opinion. It looks to me that it may need some work to run too.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
V-8 Deuce

Running, driving, with brakes, extra parts, a meal and a story for 4g, maybe....but we've gotta drop 10g into these to make them worth 8 so starting at 4 makes me want to take a dump. If you were flush with cash and 4g seemed like about 1g, it was in your pocket not doing anything, then the guy buys you a meal and tells a story, I'd spend the 4g on it...knowing it was only worth about 1g, but we were hungry and hadn't heard a good story for a while.....and didn't need the money.:-D

It'd be a cool truck to keep, even if it's just to tell the story of the man who built it. Lots of time went into the ol girl so the story about what it did after service could be interesting.

Really like this look.

502 deuce.jpg

SturmTyger380

If you go that far to drop a V8 in there with all the pretty red wires. Mount an AC unit on the firewall and use the snorkel opening for the ducting! ;-)

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
What motors would mate up to the CCKW transmission?

That truck is a nice find. Not sure if it's the same as walking into a hanger at area 51 and finding a flying flopper but I'd like to de-engineer that truck just to trace those wires.

That must be a ground bar that he ran everything....and that means everything....back to the firewall. The picture spread you laid out is perfect, thanks for doing that.

Before I lose the thread again I'll link it here for those looking at v-8's in the G749. This is the 502 BB M211. 502, crate, shiny,.....not 350, 502.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?2932-California-Hot-Rod-M211
I would guess most GMC motors since the cckw was a standard gmc trans, I would guess the bell housing bolts to even sbs not sure of bbs, in older trucks, the bell housing had been around for ever.

6x6guy

The only and biggest problem is gonna be the ratio of the axles when your done - did something like it when I was young with a MB - replace the motor ( kinda of ripped the protective metal of the motor oil pan ) while jeeping and a little drunk at that.
And didn't realize it until it was too late. Destroyed the engine and had to find a replacement - bigger and a lot stronger and decided to drop in a 350 chev engine. After getting it mounted in the right place the fun stuff started to happen. I remember reading about a guy in Calf. that was adapting motors to everything but to the original transmissions - located the article and gave the guy a call. He was working out of his garage and became real popular to outsiders because of the magizine article. We had talked a bit - no problem, he hadn't done that configuration before but assured me it would work- ( he basical did street rods conversions) but he was backed up a bit due to the piece the magazine did on him. Received to adaptor with instructions
and noticed hand written address from the company was Advanced Adapters. Well after every thing was done - it was time for a ride lots of power and take off -1st, 2nd and now 3rd gear got the engine screaming checking the RPM - realy up there and then the speedo- what the **** only doing 35 MPH. Ended up changing the axles to 2.83 ratio, highest I could go - well around 55 miles would push the envelope and red line the engine- and never went that fast again. But man was that jeep fast off the line. And I also had learned that a big motor and a transmission designed for a 4 cylinder don't like to be driven to hard- and changed out the transmission a couple of times.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey! Very Nice job posting worthwhile pictures and a good quantity of them. Imagine all the "how'd they..." questions if you didn't.
You Sir, are a good man.

USMC 00-08

No. I need to call the man. Have been busy with some other projects. I see this truck on my way to and from work everyday and it is still there. I'll try to call him within the next week or so and find out the details.

Sorry for leaving you guys hanging on this

Ashley P

My 211 is powered by a small block chevy and 4 speed. Also has been converted to dump bed. I gave considerably less than he is asking. The brake were inop too. I'm finding brakes to be a major undertaking.

USMC 00-08

Neat. Could you post up some pictures of it and how the engine and transmission is mounted? Linkages, etc?

The brakes are a big job. I recently redid the brakes on one of my M135's.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks